Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Wins 4th Masters

Veteran of Misadventures

Tiger Wins 4th Masters

Let me tell you guys something. All you guys can take a bucket of a thousand balls out to the 16th hole and hit them all day and nobody would make the chip shot Tiger made on the 16th. And he did it under intense match pressure! That was the most incredible shot I have ever seen anyone make under intense pressure. It was like Caddyshack, baby! And that birdie putt to win, it's a good thing it was dead center because the way he struck that baby it was rolling 10 feet past if it didn't go in!

Way to go Tiger!

That 16th hole shot sure was something, "Nike" will be glad it's logo was on that ball, the long seconds it took the ball to get it will be playing over and over on tv for years !!!

Goooooser.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Cock Sportif
    ....(Thank you Tiger!)
    Him and Michael Jordan have done more good for African Americans than any intellectual leader of the past. I am calling my broker Monday to load me up with Nike.
    Sporty: Are you saying Tiger's precision shooting equipment (pse) is better than my cousin, Plato's intellectual precision shooting equipment (ipse)? Does Tiger do Greek as good as my cousins?

Louis
    Louisisgreat
    The exiled Philosopher King of the Pan Hellenistic Empire.
    Ο εξορισμένος βασιλιάς φιλοσόφων της παν αυτοκρατορίας Ελληνικη.

proud infidel
    Nice to see Tiger "back" after a slump due to family reasons. I guess now that he has the family thing out the way, he can concentrate once again in what he does best...
    I don't know the details of Tiger's personal life, but, often times, golfers also have a range of ailments, like low back pain, that can slow them down significantly for some time, and yet they're usually reluctant to talk about them.

fml
    fml

Veteran of Misadventures
    femaleluver,

Tiger has in fact struggled with a knee problem the last few years but he is not the kind of guy to make excuses for substandard play which is one of the things I like about him. As to personal life, LCS refers to Tiger's October 2004 marriage to Elin Nordgren, the stunning blonde Swedish sswimsuit model.
    She kissed him as he came off the final playoff hole to get his green jacket.

I am not a Tiger fan, but he is one hell of a golfer! What a pitch on 16.
    Save a tree...eat a beaver!

I think Tiger marrying Elin helped him a lot.. at least he does not have to look for a SP in everytown he goes to

The chip on the 16th green was no accident or luck, it was the result of hard work and incredible talent.
    He could have tried this 50 times and not make it. There was certainly a big "luck" factor here. Not to mention he played a horrible back 9, his driving was all over the place, and he had a number of other lucky breaks. The old Tiger with a 3 shot lead would have just ran away with the title. He grabbed the #1 spot and he's still a great golfer, but he's not going to dominate golf like he used to.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBob
    He grabbed the #1 spot and he's still a great golfer, but he's not going to dominate golf like he used to.
    Good ! It makes it more interesting. At least now there are 4 or 5 top contenders every tournament (Mikelson, Singh, Woods, Els, Goosen... I would add Mike Weir, but that's being patriotic ). And they'll exchange the #1 ranking throughout the year and make it exiting !
    MG

Veteran of Misadventures
    There was certainly a big "luck" factor here. Not to mention he played a horrible back 9, his driving was all over the place, and he had a number of other lucky breaks.
    Just Bob,

Do you really believe that shot was purely luck? Maybe it going in was luck - but Tiger clearly struck the ball and landed it in such a way as to put it in a position to go in. For him to even be within 10 feet was a miracle, and clearly even if the ball did not roll in it was still a great shot.

Was the fact that DiMarco failed to keep his second shot on the 18th green, two consecutive times, "bad luck"? Or did DiMarco simply screw up in failing to miss the shot correctly? When Tiger missed his shots, he missed them "correctly", i.e., in ways that his score was not going to balloon. However DiMarco twice put himself in position to lose the tournament with shots that he missed and left himself a pitch instead of missing and leaving himself a putt.

The point is that winners make their breaks and losers don't. I give DiMarco credit for playing a great back nine and there is no question that Tiger did get some breaks. But to me he put himself in a position to get those breaks with excellent course management, whereas DiMarco, although playing better than Tiger on the back nine, fucked up on several occasions with his course management.

Brains and strategy are part of the sport too. When lucky breaks happen, as they do in all sports, it's usually because the winner has put himself in a position to be the recipient of those breaks.

Nice to see we have some knowledgeable golfers on the board.What made that shot on 16 even more difficult was the fact that he was up against the collar & was in a very difficult position on hia backswing.
    No question Tiger is a great golfer but I would have loved to see DiMarco win.Lot's of heart in that guy.He deserves it.

SD

I never said it was "pure luck". It was a great shot but there was certainly an element of luck in it. And I don't see how driving balls all over the place except in the fairway constitutes good course management. He got some very lucky breaks. As I stated, with a 3 shot lead, the old Tiger would have just ran away with the title. Bottomline is, other golfers are no longer scared of him, and he just isn't as dominant as he used to.

Veteran of Misadventures
    Just Bob,

On the other hand, if DiMarco was not in this tournament, Tiger wins by 7 shots, which would be considered a dominating win. And he wins by 7 shots despite spraying his balls all over the course.
    Last edited by EagerBeaver; 04-11-2005 at 07:32 PM.

One of the things that makes Tiger great is the fact that he finds a way to win even when he is not playing his best.

proud infidel

Tiger: qualities and flaws

The old Tiger with a 3 shot lead would have just ran away with the title. He grabbed the #1 spot and he's still a great golfer, but he's not going to dominate golf like he used to.
    You may be right, JB. There's also, however, the possibilty that the field is getting more competitive. Maybe other great golfers have adjusted and raised their game up a notch in a way similar to what happens in Major L. baseball when a guy who's been traded from one league to the other has a hot first season at the plate and then underachieves the following year due to adjustments made by opposing pitchers.

Personally, i find that the ability Tiger has to express his emotions on the golf course may also prove to be an important flaw whenever he needs to control such emotions. As you may have noticed, it was quite pleasant and refreshing to see Tiger celebrate on 16 after sinking that unbelievable chip shot. But that tendency of his to show such an outpouring of emotion can also turn against him and become a liability in times of hardship and disappointing play. This is why i think that Tiger still remains the most naturally gifted PGA golfer who's most capable of impressing us on any given day, but, over the course of an entire career, i doubt that he will impress me more than J. Nicklaus did, whose calm, composure and legendary accuracy with his irons has probably made him golf's most celebrated golfer to date.

fml
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 04-12-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    fml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast