Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: The Economics of Prostitution: SP or Wife?

  1. #1

    The Economics of Prostitution: SP or Wife?

    An SP on TERB posted this Forbes article:



    The choice is that simple. At least according to economists Lena Edlund and Evelyn Korn, it is.

    The two well-respected economists created a minor stir in academic circles a few years back when they published "A Theory of Prostitution" in the Journal of Political Economy. The paper was remarkable not only for being accepted by a major journal but also because it considered wives and whores as economic "goods" that can be substituted for each other. Men buy, women sell.

    Economists have been equating money and marriage ever since Nobel Prize-winning economist Gary Becker published his seminal paper "A Theory of Marriage" in two parts in 1973 and 1974--also, not coincidentally, in the Journal of Political Economy.

    Becker used market analysis to tackle the questions of whom, when and why we marry. His conclusions? Mate selection is a market, and marriages occur only if they are profitable for both parties involved.

    Becker allowed nonmonetary elements, like romantic love and companionship, to be entered into courtship's profit and loss statement. And children, in particular, were important. "Sexual gratification, cleaning, feeding and other services can be purchased, but not children: Both the man and the woman are required to produce their own children and perhaps to raise them," he wrote.

    But back to whores: Edlund and Korn admit that spouses and streetwalkers aren't exactly alike. Wives, in truth, are superior to whores in the economist's sense of being a good whose consumption increases as income rises--like fine wine. This may explain why prostitution is less common in wealthier countries. But the implication remains that wives and whores are--if not exactly like Coke and Pepsi--something akin to champagne and beer. The same sort of thing.

    As with Becker, a key differentiator in Edlund and Korn's model is reproductive sex. Wives can offer it, whores can not.

    To be fair, Edlund and Korn were merely building an admittedly grossly simplified model of human behavior in an attempt to answer a nagging question: Why do hookers make so much money? Prostitution is, seemingly, a low-skill but high-pay profession with few upfront costs, micro-miniskirts and stiletto heels aside.

    Yet according to data assembled from a wide variety of times and places, ranging from mid-15th-century France to Malaysia of the late 1990s, prostitutes make more money--in some cases, a lot more money--than do working girls who, well, work for a living. This held true even for places where prostitution is legal and relatively safe. In short, streetwalkers aren't necessarily being paid more for their increased risk of going to jail or the hospital.

    Notwithstanding Jerry Hall's quip when she was married to Mick Jagger, about being "a maid in the living room and a whore in the bedroom," one normally cannot be both a wife and a whore. "Combine this with the fact that marriage can be an important source of income for women, and it follows that prostitution must pay better than other jobs to compensate for the opportunity cost of forgone-marriage market earnings," Edlund and Korn conclude.

    Ouch.

    Another zinger: "This begs the question of why married men go to prostitutes (rather than buying from their wives, who presumably will be low-cost providers, considering that they can sell nonreproductive sex without compromising their marriage)." Guys, nothing says "Happy Valentine's Day" more than "low-cost provider."

    Of course, it's easy to pour cold water on some of the assumptions made in Edlund and Korn's mathematical model. But these so-called "stylized facts" are supposed to predict human behavior; they don't necessarily pretend to mirror it.

    In particular, the assumption that there is no "third way" between wife and whore is problematic, if not outright offensive: "The third alternative, working in a regular job but not marrying, can be ruled out, since we assume that the only downside of marriage for a woman is the forgone opportunity for prostitution."

    Be sure to let all your married friends know what they're missing.

    Also, the emphasis on the utility of children is puzzling. In most Western democracies, fertility rates have plummeted as wealth has increased. Empirically, men not only buy fewer whores as they get richer, but they have fewer children.

    Still, the economic analysis of marriage explains one age-old phenomenon: gold digging.

    "In particular, does our analysis justify the popular belief that more beautiful, charming and talented women tend to marry wealthier and more successful men?" wrote Becker. His answer: "A positive sorting of nonmarket traits with nonhuman wealth always, and with earnings power, usually, maximizes commodity output over all marriages."

    In other words, yes, supermodels do prefer aging billionaires. And Gary Becker proved it mathematically decades before The Donald married Melania.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver kloseoff
    well at least us poor guys can think they like us for who we are!
    donald trump is a rich geek
    and if a whorehoue was offereing free fucks
    and he was not the rich guy he is
    he would be going home with his dick in his hand
    oliver
    Don't worry, she has not began to screw him yet...When she is done, he will not have a dick to hold in his hands!

  3. #3
    Olie,

    I do not think she was a pig before she got married. She is a stunning brunette with obvious cosmetic enhancements and the Donald married her because he needed a trophy wife. The only credit I will give him is that he represents the best and worst of American entrepreneurialism: he is a successful and arrogant self-promoter who somehow manages to come up with ways to reengineer the attention back onto himself.

    I am afraid that the Donald's glory days are long gone and that Americans will soon tune out at which point we can all collectively sigh: "Donald, YOU'RE FIRED!"

    GG

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver kloseoff
    recent study on disfunction in woman
    a food that totally oblitherates sex drive in a woman

    wedding cake!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Olie,

    LOL, you're too funny!!! I tell you what, maybe their sex drive is still there but they prefer to get it from their tennis instructor, their friendly gym trainer or from a well hung male SP!

    How many of us men really know what our partners are doing behind the scenes?

    GG

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce34
    What about happiness and health. That is where it is interesting if you are interested to be happy and live longer, you tend to live longer married.
    Now all of you guys will shut me down because, fuck, I am on an escort review site and I shouldn’t be happy married else I would be in McDonald’s playland this morning.
    In conclusion, I can only say the same moral given to the URL provided above: "Get married and stay married!"
    Bruce 34,

    I will not shoot you down - in fact, I agree with you that marriage can extend your health and happiness, provided you are with the right person. I think married people see SPs for a multitude of reasons.

    We are socially conditioned to get married, stay faithful, have children and live happily ever after. But life is rarely that black & white. Many of us question why we have to be with one woman for the rest of our lives, even if we love her to death. Some of us enjoy the company of an SP for other reasons than pure carnal lust. No matter how hot and sexy they are, we want them to open up and share a little extra, making our encounter infinetely better than the routine 'mechanical' encounters.

    There is no doubt in my mind that it is ethically wrong to cheat on your partner with an SP or anyone else. But while ethics and religious beliefs are ideal, the reality is often more complicated. It is easy to judge and dismiss someone as being morally weak and corrupt.

    Finally, I will admit that for me it is never easy to lie to my wife; each time I leave an SP, I think hard about what I gained from the encounter. More often than not, I gained a lot of perspective on life and it helps me deal with my own personal issues. It also helps me with my relationship but in indirect ways. But I always feel a little something eating away at me.

    I honestly do not know if I will be hobbying for long, but I can tell all of you this: marriage is worth it. All of us, including many great single SPs that I have met or spoken with, deserve to be happy and find someone special to share their lives with. It is easy to be cynical on marriage but the most precious things in life are worth struggling for.


    GG
    Last edited by General Gonad; 02-18-2006 at 02:24 PM.

  6. #6
    Shifu
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    135
    Its called a pre-nup...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver kloseoff

    remember the 3 rings of marriage
    engagment ring
    wedding ring
    suffering

    oliver
    Olie,

    You're a cynical fuck but that one had a nice ring to it!!!

    Thanks for making me laugh,

    GG

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    2,116
    60 k a year as an eg
    you pay 10 minimum in child support 30 in incomtax
    leaves you 20 try to get the gst pst kiss my ass st--you make too much money--in a pigs eye--the guy still gets the kids every secound weekend and has to feed and entertain them--and cant claim a cent of child support paid
    oliver
    So the woman has 10K which she has to pay income tax on and he has 20 net... also on this much smaller income she has to feed the child 5 days a week, assuming the child sleeps at dad's every weekend.


    Oliver you make it sound as if after a divorce women end up better off than the men.

    Look at the statistics! More often than not the woman is worse off that the husband. Most divorced women with custody end up living below the poverty line.

    After my parents divorced, Dad was living in a penthouse appartment, always had a recent model car, and in general was not struggling financially. At home with Mom and my brother, our idea of a new car was 5 years old, and mom struggled to have food on the table. Ours was a fairly typical situation. At least we weren't living in complete poverty as the majority of divorced women with children were. We did have a roof over our head though I do remember when the oil company cut us off in February because my mom was only paying XX$ a month figuring she would catch up and have them paid off in summer...

    Ronnie,
    Naughtylady
    They will forget what you said,
    they will forget what you did,
    but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by naughtylady
    Look at the statistics! More often than not the woman is worse off that the husband. Most divorced women with custody end up living below the poverty line.

    Ronnie,
    Naughtylady

    I have to agree with Ronnie on this. Even though there might be rare exceptions, the truth is single moms are struggling to make a living. There are a hell of a lot more deadbeat dads out there who fight tooth and nail to protect their standard of living and couldn't care less if their ex-wife is struggling to take care of the kids on a very tight budget.

    GG

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    2,116
    Oliver, look at the statistics. The vast majority of women are not better off than men after a divorce. Most women do not make 40K or more per year. For most women $15 an hour is really, really, good pay (approx 26K a year). Your ex may be one who is doing better but she would be an exception, not the rule.

    Also even if she does not have to pay income tax on her 10K, he is still netting 20K. Who is staying home when the kids are sick? Who is feeding and clothing the children? It is also well documented that women still earn approximately 70 cents for every dollar men make.

    Why do you resent supporting the children? Kids do not ask to be born, but it is both their parents responsibility to support and raise them. The children again and again are the victim of selfish parents.

    Ronnie,
    Naughtylady
    Last edited by naughtylady; 02-18-2006 at 09:23 PM.
    They will forget what you said,
    they will forget what you did,
    but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by naughtylady
    Oliver,

    Why do you resent supporting the children?

    Ronnie,
    Naughtylady
    Ronnie, I was thinking the same thing... even if the wife has a great paying job - have you looked into the costs of daycare lately? 5$/day daycare has a waiting list that would have your kids in college by the time a space opened up! On top of that, a women earning 40K$ a year would not be eligible for the program. Great daycare is VERY VERY hard to come by, but let's pretend she found a place that was 100$/wk, we will even pretend that she only has 1 kid to care for... even before food and clothing that is already 5K$/yr! The grass always seems greener on the other side.

    It is highly misrepresented that women are more likely to win custody of the kids, because there are no statistics on this to begin with (though loosely pegged at 81% of single parent families are women) - the harder part is determining how many fathers were actually seeking sole custody (no stats available on this count). However, this thread has lingered way off topic, and will always be a point of contention for people on either side of the fence.

    Returning to our scheduled thread topic...

    xoxox
    Anik

  12. #12
    ronnie
    if 15 dollars is a good wage, why wont you fuck me for that amount?
    This is why LDL exist by the hundreds. where else can a 20 yr old uneducated girl make 80 dollars tax free an hour> Don't feel sorry for them, they are laughing all the way to the bank
    franky

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    9

    Ouch. Better be joking with that last comment.

    That wasn't fair Franky. Ronnie makes a pretty good point.

    How can you lump the majority of single mothers out there into working at $80 or more per hour? I know moms on both sides, some who really have it tough, and also those who have significant others who really do help them out. But you better not say they can all just go out and earn that kind of money.

    Unless of course you add a to it, and have some fun with this thread... After all this is the comparison on wives and SPs, right - and I think those are around the right costs for each!!!
    Last edited by CMJ226; 02-19-2006 at 11:39 AM.

  14. #14

    Divorce: Facts, Causes and Consequences

    The Vanier Institute of the Family has a great article for all to read on this subject:

    http://www.vifamily.ca/library/cft/d...5.html#Poverty

    I have to agree with Anik and others, however, we are straying off topic. Maybe divorce is a topic that is related to my initial post, maybe not.

    I do not want this to become a dialogue between Olie and Ronnie. Oliver, I believe you when you say that you cannot judge unless you know all the facts. But let me be clear on one thing: I have no tolerance for deadbeat dads that prefer frolicking with SPs instead of paying up the alimony to support their children. This is not directed to Oliver but this is the way that I feel. People need to get their priorities right.

    I personally feel that children, if I have them, will change my mind on escorting decisively. I am already struggling with some aspects. But if you have children, you need to be responsible. End of story.


    GG

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    2,116
    Franky>>> single moms who work in the sex industry are taking the very big risk of being labelled unfit mothers, and losing custody to social services. ...Even if their work is 100% legal such as working in a strip club.

    Also most women do not work in the sex industry thus I still stand by my statement that for most, 15$ an hour is realy good pay.

    Not every woman is cut out to be a sex worker. This is not easy work. Don't kid yourself. Heck most people, men and women could not handle living with such a strong social stigma.

    ...and tell me why again I should not feel sorry for the 1000's of single moms living belowthe poverty line?


    Oliver>>> I never implied you were one of the dead beat dads, but you need to remember, your story is not typical.

    Ronnie,
    Naughtylady
    They will forget what you said,
    they will forget what you did,
    but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •