Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotwire question...

Lover of Life

Hotwire question...

Hotwire tells me that they have a 4* available for $90/night during my stay and yet they are also offering 3*s for $120. Should I be suspicious? I've never used Hotwire before so I'm not entirely confident with it yet. One more thing...is either Hotwire or Priceline favorable (one over the other) in terms of the quality of hotel they offer? Thanks!

EDIT: One more thing...those of you with experience with Hotwire, do you recommend booking a month in advance? Or is it generally worthwhile to "wait to the last minute" in the hope that something great will pop up?
    Last edited by angeleyes; 07-20-2006 at 04:33 AM.

I've read great stuff about Priceline and have had good personal experiences with Priceline.

I've read a lot of horror stories about Hotwire. Granted, I read them on biddingfortravel.com, which is biased towards Priceline. But given my personal success with Priceline so far, I'm more likely to believe the bad press about Hotwire. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

I don't think I've read anything good about Hotwire yet. The general complaint seems to be that they over-rate hotels in order to claim lower nightly rates. For example, what Hotwire says is a 3 star is actually a 2 star in a baaad neighborhood.

Hotwire vs Priceline

I've used both in my trip to Mtl.
    Priceline gives way better deals than hotwire from my experience.
    A 3 star rating for hotwire would mean you will probably get "Days Inn", whereas on priceline the same hotel would be rated as a 2.5 star which can be had for much less. (for me, I paid $72 American for a supposedly 3 star hotel on hotwire and it turned out to be Day's Inn, a week later I bid $55 on priceline for a 2.5 star hotel and got acepted. It was Day's Inn, almost the same hotel room)

Generally speaking the bids you make on Priceline shouldn't be made later than a week before coming. If you bid too early no-one will accept your offer simply because the hotels haven't put out their rooms up for bidding yet.

I usually try bidding for the 4 star rooms as you get better deals.
    I've used biddingfortravel.com before and it does help to give you an idea where to start your bidding.
    Making hot sweet love to all your beautiful women

Go with priceline

I would stick with priceline. Visit biddingfortravel.com for an idea of the bids being accepted at this time and to know the area hotels being offered. If you want to have some security, book a hotel directly at a local hotel (or contact me, I have a spare room!)

xoxox
    Anik

Can Canadians sign up with priceline????

Veteran of Misadventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Esco!
    Can Canadians sign up with priceline????
    Yes. Read the nonresident FAQ on www.biddingfortravel.com

I have used them both and find that PL's prices are better, although, you can sometimes quess which hotels Hotwire is using based on the icons they show. Their prices also change a couple of times a day for the same hotels. If you see the hotel with the Childrens play blocks in the icon, it is usually the Delta on President Kennedy. The last time I took the 4 star on Hotwire for $90, it was the Intercontinental Hotel. This hotel is one of my favorites during the summer. Hotwire also gives you a list of the potential brands they use. I would only go for a 4 star on Hotwire but as low as a 3 star on PL.

Lover of Life
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I came across the Hotel de la Montagne being offered for $127/night (Canadian) through expedia.ca, so I think I just might take it. I would rather pay a little more than risk getting stuck in a hotel I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleyes
    I came across the Hotel de la Montagne being offered for $127/night (Canadian) through expedia.ca,
    Does expedia offer cheaper hotel rates and is it similar to priceline????

Quote Originally Posted by Esco!
    Does expedia offer cheaper hotel rates and is it similar to priceline????
    Not usually, and you can usually get much better deals on priceline. For instance on expedia the Hyatt sometimes goes for as much as $200+ but can also be had on PL for between $70-$100.

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    Yes. Read the nonresident FAQ on www.biddingfortravel.com
    Beaver, I cant find nonresident FAQ on their site, do you have a direct link????

Veteran of Misadventures
    Esco,

Click on "Hotels" and then click on "Non US resident FAQ" under FAQ

Direct link:

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...opicID=6.topic

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    Esco,

Click on "Hotels" and then click on "Non US resident FAQ" under FAQ

Direct link:

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...opicID=6.topic
    Hey Beaver thanks a lot, if I run into you in Montreal I'll buy you a beer

One more question, on the FAQ page it says:
    We have had reports that Priceline will not accept a Visa or Mastercard from a non-U.S. bidder, but they will accept an American Express card.
    I dont own an Amex card, I only have MC and Visa, will it still work with those cards????
    Last edited by Esco!; 07-20-2006 at 08:35 PM.

I am a non American resident credit card holder and my mastercard got me through priceline with no problem whatsoever. The Priceline website has recently updated thier website to allow Canadian credit card holders.
    Making hot sweet love to all your beautiful women

Its too bad you cant fly out of Toronto with priceline, I already tried it.
    They only offer flights out of the U.S

QUESTION: If priceline offers the Omni at $160 what should I counter-offer?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast