Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: credit problems

  1. #1

    credit problems

    Hey montreal, I have a friend here who I am helping find a place to rent in lasalle area. The problem is her credit is not good because of a 500$ bill from videotran. We need to fix this before we can rent a place and pass the land owners credit check. I am wondering what would be the fastest way to go about fixing her credit, and finding out if there is other outstanding debts that we are unaware of. Also, wondering how soon we could have this issue fixed to pass a credit cheque. Thanks

  2. #2
    Fun n games til some1...
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,159
    My feedback... 2 part fix

    A. Fix Credit Issue - Gov Can site
    * takes time to resolve + individual must check their own credit report has been updated after issue resolved with a merchant
    1. request a copy of your credit report and review what problems exist (merchants post notes for each credit issued) - Equifax
    2. focus on problem credit - negotiate resolution with merchant (repayment in installments,etc) + expected timelines to repay outstanding or justify why the 500$ was an error (papertrail required)

    B. Renting
    * most landlords will want to know a tenant can pay rent on-time and ever mth of the lease, so...
    1. Negotiate: offer a co-signee (parent/friend/relative/boss/etc.) to guarantee rent will be covered
    2. offer to leave an extra month deposit (if they ask for 1 mth deposit, offer 2 as a goodwill gesture)

    It's unlikely you'll fix the credit issue and clean your credit history before renting an apt unless you're renting in 2012, plan for at least 6-months to fix the issue(s).

  3. #3
    It's illegal in Quebec for a prospective landlord to run a credit check or to request your social insurance number. The only information they are permitted to request is for previous residence information and posssibly your place of employment. If they ask for a credit check, report them to the Regie des Logements.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman View Post
    It's illegal in Quebec for a prospective landlord to run a credit check or to request your social insurance number. The only information they are permitted to request is for previous residence information and posssibly your place of employment. If they ask for a credit check, report them to the Regie des Logements.
    Thank you both for the time you took to respond.
    Can anyone verify this is correct because in the 10 duplexs we visited each owner said they had to run credit cheque with S.I.N.
    The last home owner actually said "it is the law, we have to run a credit cheque"

  5. #5
    Also, equifax will take to long. I need to find out which collection agencies are in control of the outstanding amounts owed to make payments, is this possible?

  6. #6
    The best thing to do is to call the Regie directly and they will confirm what I posted. (514) 873-2245 or 1-800-683-2245

    As for asking for your S.I.N. that is totally illegal and they have no right to request that information. No one oustide of a government agency or a bank and employer for tax purposes has the right to request that. http://www.canadian-money-advisor.ca...ce-number.html


    The only people who can legally ask you for your SIN are the Canada customs
    and
    revenue agency, banks and employers for income tax reporting and some government
    agencies like the CPP, the OAS, etc. Whenever you are in doubt
    over the legality
    of the request for the SIN, ask them for proof requiring
    you to provide your
    SIN.
    If the organization is unable to provide such
    proof, yet insist that
    you divulge your SIN, you can file a complaint
    against them with the office of
    the privacy commissioner of Canada
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Martin View Post
    The tenants should consider themselves lucky. In Florida, by the time I'm done, I know more about the tenants than they know themselves. That still doesn't save me from the f__king liberal judges. The more liberal they get the tougher I get. Too bad, it disqualifes a lot of tenants.
    Huh?? Thanks for your cent. I care less who your egnoring, your not helping my question so umm guess I'll egnore your here fruit cup

  8. #8
    I think you can do a credit check on a tenant, if a tenant has bad credit they will be more likely to stiff you for the rent.

  9. #9
    A S.I.N. is only for government use, not even a bank can insist on that number.

  10. #10
    I had a friend who rented a place and he gave post dated cheques so the landlord wouldn't be chasing him for rent.When the landlord wanted to check his credit he made my friend fill out an application so he could verify his credit.On the application they asked for his sin.My friend had nothing to hide and he knew his credit was good so he signed the application.This is a common practice so I don't see how it's illegal?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Martin View Post
    The tenants should consider themselves lucky. In Florida, by the time I'm done, I know more about the tenants than they know themselves. That still doesn't save me from the f__king liberal judges. The more liberal they get the tougher I get. Too bad, it disqualifes a lot of tenants.
    Does it tell you the number and kind of guns they carry in their brown boxes moving in ?
    Just sayin'

  12. #12
    Fun n games til some1...
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt604 View Post
    Also, equifax will take to long. I need to find out which collection agencies are in control of the outstanding amounts owed to make payments, is this possible?
    I'm surprised - collection agencies usually find ppl easily, not the other way around with you looking for them.

    Start with Videotron and ask them to confirm which agency they sold your outstanding balance to. You might also see if you can negotiate repayment directly with Videotron but your credit history is already damaged at this point.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman View Post
    As for asking for your S.I.N. that is totally illegal and they have no right to request that information. No one oustide of a government agency or a bank and employer for tax purposes has the right to request that.
    True. But there is no legislation that prohibits anyone asking (without requesting) for it. So the landlord is allowed to ask for your SIN and you are free to refuse to give it to him. What would be illegal is for him to refuse to rent the apartment to you for the specific reason that you refuse to give him your SIN. They know the law usually, and they will avoid giving you that reason.

  14. #14
    I am me, too!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    If only I knew...
    Posts
    2,214
    Gugu, if the landlord ask for the SIN, it's not to write it down and frame it on the wall: he will use it. It's illegal to use the SIN for anything that is not related to government business and leasing an apartment isn't government business. Saying "He can ask but you don't have to tell." is equivalent to your employer asking you if you are gay. Why? Because not answering will be seen as a red flag in both cases. Certain things don't have to be explicitly written in the law, they are implicit by association.

    These days, the SIN is totally irrelevant for a credit check anyhow. All they need is the name and birth date. Previous addresses is a plus but not a must. Why? It's illegal to use the SIN for any business that is not related to the government. This mean the SIN should not show-up in any credit check report and should not be used by credit check companies.

    Some companies are even doing credit check as a condition of employment and it's legal in Québec. (I checked since I faced this situation.)

    Getting somebody's SIN is one of the first step to steal one's identity. Nobody should give his SIN to anybody who is not legally authorized. Imagine the landlord, with his collection of SIN and names from previous, current and to-be tenants, their employer name, past renting history, phone number and other stuff. This person might be the most honest on earth but, what if he get burglarized? All that good info could end-up in bad hands. Besides the legal issues, it's not only about giving the guy your SIN, it's about how well it will be protected.

    A big insurance company (La Capitale) had to spend a huge amount of money many years ago to change their filing system because they were using the SIN as a file number. They were not even using it to get info about customers, they just figured, since it was a unique number and all Canadians have one, it was perfect to identify every customer, without any risk of confusion. If a corporation have to abide by the law, you bet a simple landlord must do the same. The SIN is for government use and communications, nothing else.
    Last edited by metoo4; 03-15-2011 at 11:06 AM.

  15. #15

    Caution - Property Tax Refund

    Quote Originally Posted by metoo4 View Post
    Gugu, if the landlord ask for the SIN, it's not to write it down and frame it on the wall: he will use it. It's illegal to use the SIN for anything that is not related to government business and leasing an apartment isn't government business. Saying "He can ask but you don't have to tell." is equivalent to your employer asking you if you are gay. Why? Because not answering will be seen as a red flag in both cases. Certain things don't have to be explicitly written in the law, they are implicit by association.

    These days, the SIN is totally irrelevant for a credit check anyhow. All they need is the name and birth date. Previous addresses is a plus but not a must. Why? It's illegal to use the SIN for any business that is not related to the government. This mean the SIN should not show-up in any credit check report and should not be used by credit check companies.
    Very well explained.

    Caution - some landlords try to get the SIN by saying it is necessary for the provincial Property Tax Refund or credit.
    LISA'S FRIEND

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •