Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 114

Thread: Lets hear it for the OLF

  1. #1

    Lets hear it for the OLF

    Great timing guys! Fantastic way to showcase the international, open qualities of Quebec by going after Richmond Qc for having english labels on the air conditioner and fax machine. And forbidding them to speak english at work. That's a really great way to show all the international tourists in town for the race how inclusive a society we have here. [...]

    *** Techman, I removed the name calling from your post. Please do not repost. M2 ***
    Last edited by Mod 2; 06-10-2005 at 10:35 AM.

  2. #2
    uninformed informant
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    146
    can you post a link to that because I find it hard to believe that they would or even could forbid a language from being spoken.

    As for the fax and air conditioner thing, the language police has to justify their paycheck somehow right
    Inherited Will, the destiny of an age and the dreams of its people. These things will not be stopped.
    As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom. They will never cease to be.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    500

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    Great timing guys! Fantastic way to showcase the international, open qualities of Quebec by going after Richmond Qc for having english labels on the air conditioner and fax machine. And forbidding them to speak english at work. That's a really great way to show all the international tourists in town for the race how inclusive a society we have here. [...]
    Techman,

    Je pense que tu devrais prendre le temps de t'informer correctement sur les faits et les événements avant de faire des affirmations gratuites.

    Tout ce qu'il dit est faux, archi-faux et de mauvaise foi.

    Voici un lien sur Cyberpresse qui donne une version correcte des faits.

    J'en ai marre de ces discussions inutiles.

    Mod2 , could you please remove this useless thread?

    Elvis
    Last edited by Elvis; 06-10-2005 at 01:05 PM.

  4. #4
    I am me, too!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    If only I knew...
    Posts
    2,214
    Certaines personnes ne comprennent pas la situation linguistique du Québec et ne sont pas intéressés à la comprendre même si ils habitent le Québec depuis toujours. Il y aura toujours des personnes comme Techman qui ne veulent rien entendre...
    Les Anglophones ne sont nullement menacés au Québec. Ils ont droit à des services en anglais peu importe ou ils vont, souvent sans le demander. Ils n'ont qu'à parler l'anglais et ils se feront majoritairement répondre en anglais.
    Le problème est que certain de ces anglophones s'offusque d'avoir à se forcer un peu et d'avoir à parler et comprendre le français quelque peu. Il m'est impossible de comprendre comment une personne de 50+ ans, née au Québec et qui a toujours vécu au Québec puisse toujours être unilingue anglophone.
    Désolé mais, au Québec, nous parlons français. Aucun problème avec les touristes qui parlent anglais, il nous fait plaisir de les assister dans leur langue.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    500
    Metoo4

    Très bien dit.

    Elvis

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by metoo4
    Certaines personnes ne comprennent pas la situation linguistique du Québec et ne sont pas intéressés à la comprendre même si ils habitent le Québec depuis toujours. Il y aura toujours des personnes comme Techman qui ne veulent rien entendre...
    Les Anglophones ne sont nullement menacés au Québec. Ils ont droit à des services en anglais peu importe ou ils vont, souvent sans le demander. Ils n'ont qu'à parler l'anglais et ils se feront majoritairement répondre en anglais.
    Le problème est que certain de ces anglophones s'offusque d'avoir à se forcer un peu et d'avoir à parler et comprendre le français quelque peu. Il m'est impossible de comprendre comment une personne de 50+ ans, née au Québec et qui a toujours vécu au Québec puisse toujours être unilingue anglophone.
    Désolé mais, au Québec, nous parlons français. Aucun problème avec les touristes qui parlent anglais, il nous fait plaisir de les assister dans leur langue.
    well said metoo4.. I was not born here but have been living for many years. My french still sucks big time (due to the choice of univeristy, work environment, and friends) but I still try to improve. I know it is not much improvement I have achieved but still trying.
    anyway, that is my unworthy 2 cents.

  7. #7

    They are just doing their jobs!

    I think they deserve a big reward for doing their jobs so zealously. My cat and I think that they should get some just deserts. Kitty has suggested that we send them some cat box cookies in the mail! Can anyone tell me how to say CAT BOX COOKIES in french?

  8. #8

    Smile Service en anglais

    metoo4,
    "Ils ont droit a des services en anglais peu importe ou ils vont,
    souvent sans le demander."

    Appellez le gouvernement(prov/mun).Boite vocale "For service in english
    press..../Pour service en anglais appuyez sur le ...".Appuyez sur le .....
    majoritairement,le message va continuer en francais ou la reponse
    sera en francais.Alors des services phantoms/Pere Noel ?????


    "....il nous fait plaisir de les assister dans leurs langue"

    Paroles v actes.
    Les affiches sur les routes.PONT pas PONT avec
    BRIDGE(en miniscule 50%).Oui quand ils demendent les directions
    pour le "Bridge" tu vas les assister mais l'importante c'est de eviter
    les erreurs et la dependence inutile et un faux sens que ce type de
    situation est utile.Pictogramme?????

    Translation
    Call the government(prov./mun).Voice mail response "For service
    in English press .../Pour service en anglais appuyez sur le ...."
    Press ... and the majority of the time the message will continue
    in French or the person who answers will speak French.
    Imaginary services like Santa Claus.

    Words v deeds
    Highway signs.PONT not PONT with BRIDGE (lower case 50%).When
    tourists ask for directions you will help them but the important thing
    is to avoid errors and pointless dependence and a false sense that
    this type of situation is useful.Pictogram?????

    NB:Clavier en anglais/english keyboard.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    496
    metoo, I have a funny story for you. It is truly sad in many ways, and shows how much the pendulum has swung.

    I went the other day to a Tim Horton's to get a coffee and a soup. I go through the drive thru. The girl answers, gives the usual "bonjour..." and I say "can I have a coffee and a soup". Her reply was "quelle sort de soupe?". I say "What do you have?". She then lists them all off in french. I have not said a SINGLE WORD in french, and she has not said a single word in english.

    Now, I speak excellent french, and I could have easily switched. But now I have realized what I am facing:

    The OLF version of the "Fat english lady at Eaton's".

    30 years later, the french people have learned to be just as fucking rude as the moron fucking english people of the past.

    Congradulations to the OLF and all the supporters of the french language law, you have finally convinced me I need to leave this province.

    MATt
    Your mileage may vary... mine did!

  10. #10

    No rules

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown
    I went the other day to a Tim Horton's to get a coffee and a soup. I go through the drive thru. The girl answers, gives the usual "bonjour..." and I say "can I have a coffee and a soup". Her reply was "quelle sort de soupe?". I say "What do you have?". She then lists them all off in french. I have not said a SINGLE WORD in french, and she has not said a single word in english.
    Funny the opposite happened to me at McDonald's in Gare Centrale and at M Felix Mr Norton in Centre Eaton last week. Was talked in english first. I answered in french signifying my desire to be served in french but they never say a word in french.

    There is no rule in this sort of things, it happens both ways. All I can say is when I talk to a client at my job I think it is important to answer in HIS language. So I expect the same when I am a client.

  11. #11

    It's not only the OLF

    Not too long ago my XYL and I did some shopping at Les Ailes at carrefour Laval. Of course the XYL doesn't speak french, understands some though. Get to the cash and the girl says in french cash,debit or credit card, XYL says in english, excuse me, I do not understand? The girl behind the counter
    again says in french cash, debit, or credit card,but this time says it even louder. I noticed what was going on and came over to the counter and being bilingual said politely to the girl in french, my XYL is not deaf, she doesn't speak french.

  12. #12

    Link

    Here is a link to the story as reported by the Montreal Gazette. I was not wrong in my facts. http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...4-7ef3210a5d1a

  13. #13

    Judge69

    You must not be from Quebec. As a matter of fact all companies, gov't or private, have to operate completely in French in the province of Quebec or face the wrath of the OLF and heavy fines. This includes all computer software installed on company systems as well as internal company documentation and correspondance. And I have no problem with protecting the French language. I do have a problem with the systematic elimination of the english language however. There are many languages spoken in our great city and none of them are in danger of extinction but only english seems to be singled out for legal eradication. You never hear of the OLF going into Chinatown and telling the merchants there that they have to conduct business in French.

    Oh, by the way, my original post was not as much concerned with what the OLF did. It was more about their timing. Every once in a while they go out on one of their witch hunts and we are used to it here. But if it wasn't for the decision on health care, it would have made the Gazette's front page and it isn't the kind of publicity this city needs with our international visitors in town.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Darbyshire Quebec.
    Posts
    69
    Just goes to show that there are still people out there who'd happily take away other people's civil rights, it's disgusting really that the French would do some stuff like this, even worse that they could try to convince themselves that it's justified.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    496
    ..and think nothing of it.

    I love Montreal, but I won't be unhappy to see some of these people in the rear view mirror.

    MATt
    Your mileage may vary... mine did!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •