Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest coach's or GM any sports all time ?

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic

Greatest coach's or GM any sports all time ?

Hi all
    In hockey Scotty Bowman has won the Stanley Cup nine times has a coach ,pretty impressive .
    With Montreal , Pittsburgh and Detroit and others in different roles !
    Cheers
    BookerL

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Hi all
    What about Phil Jackson and his 11× NBA champion (1991–1993, 1996–1998, 2000–2002, 2009–2010)

Cheers

BookerL

november
    Every sport has their greatest coach or GM, It is hard to pick just one.

Sam Pollock built a real dynasty with the Habs.

I believe there should be two separate classifications...otherwise it's almost impossible to choose one.

Best GM & Coach: Red Auerbach (Boston Celtics) and Scotty Bowman (St-Louis Blues / Montreal Canadiens / Pittsburgh Penguins / Detroit Red Wings)

Best Coach: Phil Jackson (Chicago Bulls / LA Lakers)

Banned
    BOYZ,

Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    Best GM & Coach: Red Auerbach (Boston Celtics) and Scotty Bowman (St-Louis Blues / Montreal Canadiens / Pittsburgh Penguins / Detroit Red Wings)

Best Coach: Phil Jackson (Chicago Bulls / LA Lakers)
    I was going to put in a word for Casey Stengel, but I noticed something about his record. Despite a stellar performance with the Yankees his teams failed to finish higher than 5th in 13 seasons with 4 different other teams and indeed was dead last 10 of those 13 years. So how much of the success was Stengel and how much was it the Yankees organization.

Red Auerbach has to be one of the most brilliant sportsman the world has ever seen. He directly coached the Celtics to NBA Championships in 9 out of 10 years and 8 straight as everyone knows, but he was also the hands on architect of 16 total Championships. When Red drafted Bill Russell in 1956 for his defensive toughness and rebounding he was going against orthodoxy that said centers had to be better offensively productive. Since the Celtics had finished 2nd the previous season Red also had to do a lot of trade maneuvering to have a shot at Russell.

In 1978 Red took more chances not only maneuvering the draft position to get a shot at Larry Bird, but also drafting him knowing he would probably have to wait a year for Bird who wanted to finish his senior year at Indiana State. Red drafted Bird without having consulted him thereby increasing the risk.

Red's enduring trademark was teamwork. In 7 Celtics Championships he coached not one of his players were in the top 10 of scoring leaders.

BRAVO!!!

Merlot

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot View Post

Red Auerbach has to be one of the most brilliant sportsman the world has ever seen.

BRAVO!!!

Merlot
    .....and Auerbach was a good ol' boy from Brooklyn!!!

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    All North Americans boys in this list !!
    What about a Russian Viktor Tikhonov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Tikhonov

He was the coach of the Soviet team when it was the most dominant team in the world, winning world cups in 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1990
    13 straight Soviet titles (1978–1989)
    World Championship gold in 1978–1979, 1981–1983,1986,1989,1990.
    Olympics gold in 1984,1988,1992; silver in 1980.
    1979 Challenge Cup and 1981 Canada Cup.

Many accomplishments has a high level coach

Regards

BookerL

I am gonna get a lot of slack over this, definitely not the greatest but an honorable mention.... Drumroll.............. The Oilers in their prime 1980 to 1990. With the group effort of GM, coaches and scouts they put together a great hockey team.
    I do not think outside the box, I do not think inside the box, I do not even know where the box is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by simonpaul View Post
    Sam Pollock built a real dynasty with the Habs.
    Sam Pollock may have been a good gm he may not have been. He had an unfair advantage. Back when he built the dynasty mtl i do believe had the rights to the 1st three french canadians in every draft and back then quebec used to supply about 30% of the players that played in the nhl. Imagine if toronto had the rights to protect the 1st three players from ontario every year then the leafs would have won a bunch more cups also.

JJ

I believe the Leafs had the same rights in Ontario as the Habs had in Quebec so you'll have to find some other excuses for why the Leafs have been so bad for so long.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pyjama guy View Post
    I believe the Leafs had the same rights in Ontario as the Habs had in Quebec so you'll have to find some other excuses for why the Leafs have been so bad for so long.
    You maybe right i just don't believe that you are other wise they would have protected the rights of Bobby Orr amongst others. For the record i am not a leaf fan i hate them. I will do a bit of research when i have time but i do believe that only mtl was able to protect 3 guys.

JJ

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff jones View Post
    Sam Pollock may have been a good gm he may not have been. He had an unfair advantage. Back when he built the dynasty mtl i do believe had the rights to the 1st three french canadians in every draft and back then quebec used to supply about 30% of the players that played in the nhl. Imagine if toronto had the rights to protect the 1st three players from ontario every year then the leafs would have won a bunch more cups also.
    Very good observation. I wholeheartedly agree!

I second that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Very good observation. I wholeheartedly agree!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast