Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoked Meat

Smoked Meat

Just wondering ...is the new Dunns better than the old Dunns from years ago??? Is there any better...figure you'd guys would know for sure...thanks

Veteran of Misadventures
    Schwartz's is better. Only smokehouse on premises in Montreal. All other smoked meat purveyors are injecting chemicals into the meat. Only Schwartz's is made on premises in a smokehouse grandfathered in by law. No other place can be compared because they are the only purveyor who is making true smoked meat and not meat infused with chemicals.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    I hate Dunn's. I mostly go to Reuben's since it's in the heart of downtown Mtl. I've never been to Schwartz's since it's too far from where i stay & the few times i've walked by it, there are always lineups and i hate lineups. But if you want my opinion on the best smoked meat sandwich, it's Schwart's.

Main's and Lesters are better than Schwartz's and Dunn's IMO.

Pete's smoke meat is the best

Quote Originally Posted by Varmitt View Post
    Just wondering ...is the new Dunns better than the old Dunns from years ago??? Is there any better...figure you'd guys would know for sure...thanks
    Pete Smoke meat at Ile Perrot is the best,you can taste the smoke a lot.

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallseye View Post
    Main's is located right across Schwartz if i remember correctly, but where is Lester's located?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallseye View Post
    I beg to differ!
    Schwartz is the best ! Don't take the lean one is too dry ! The only reason of the existence of the main smoked meat is to catch the rest of the line up of Schwartz ! And also the smoked meat from main comes from Schwartz !
    Second best is Lester on Bernard !
    But it's an old question like the bagels ! Fairmount have the best bagels ! Saint viateur once they cool down they suck !
    GOHABSGO

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Anyhow for any smoke meat lovers Montreal is the place of reference .
    You will find one to your likings!

Cheers

Booker

Veteran of Misadventures
    If the meat is not smoked in a smokehouse what you are eating is a bastardized version of the real thing. Schwartz's has the only smokehouse in Montreal proper. Accept no substitutes! Real is real and bastardized is bastardized.

On bagels Fairmount or St. Viateur but bagel must be consumed within hours of leaving those ovens.

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    Real is real and bastardized is bastardized.
    Is this like tenderized ?
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    On bagels Fairmount or St. Viateur but bagel must be consumed within hours of leaving those ovens.
    This is like French baguette ,Freshness is vital ,Any bread or same family that has low levels to no fat in the ingredient list will harden faster then the bread who has higher level of fat .
    Shortening or lard keeps the moisture and taste level at its peak for a longer time .
    Hamburger buns for example has most of the time a 10 % fat content and higher sugar content then crusty bread or bagels .
    The reason why I know I was a Bakery supervisor in my early career and head Baker before, handling a production line of a variety of breads ,bagels ,donuts ,buns ,etc....

Cheers

Booker

Quote Originally Posted by marc7 View Post
    I beg to differ!
    Schwartz is the best ! Don't take the lean one is too dry ! The only reason of the existence of the main smoked meat is to catch the rest of the line up of Schwartz ! And also the smoked meat from main comes from Schwartz !
    Second best is Lester on Bernard !
    At the risk of repeating myself, please refer to post 17 of this thread : https://merb.cc/vbulletin/showthread....hlight=poutine

This is like French baguette ,Freshness is vital ,Any bread or same family that has low levels to no fat in the ingredient list will harden faster then the bread who has higher level of fat .
    Shortening or lard keeps the moisture and taste level at its peak for a longer time .
    Hamburger buns for example has most of the time a 10 % fat content and higher sugar content then crusty bread or bagels .
    The reason why I know I was a Bakery supervisor in my early career and head Baker before, handling a production line of a variety of breads ,bagels ,donuts ,buns ,etc....

Cheers

Booker[/QUOTE]

The Bun Master has spoken....Lol

Gorgeous ladies Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
    The Bun Master has spoken....Lol
    I love big buns
    And small buns
    All sorts

And you

Cheers

Booker