Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice regarding a speeding ticket

Need some advice regarding a speeding ticket

I was stopped for speeding yesterday next to a park in a 30km zone I was caught going 56km when the cop pulled me over he takes my papers when he is towards the back of my car I here him say to his partner with a car like that he could afford to pay can I contest the ticket which was $125.00 plus 2 points,plus teach this new traffic cop a lesson.

proud infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus
    I was stopped for speeding yesterday next to a park in a 30km zone I was caught going 56km .
    With all due respect, Maximus, what is there to challenge?

proud infidel
    At most, you could always lodge a complaint against that cop with some police discplinary authority.

Psychiatric help, 5 cents

From experience

I've gone to court, won a couple and lost a couple and I'll tell you one thing. It's a lot easier to just pay the ticket and put the story behind you. It bites but is better then hanging around a courtroom all day, missing work and perhaps being found guilty just the same. I won't make a comment regarding going almost twice the posted speed limit in an area where kids play, none needed.

THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    There is an unwritten law at least in Quebec City that the police will tolerate exceeding the posted limit by nineteen kilometers per hour without ticketing from what you've posted I too don't see where there is anything to contest you unfortunately fell on a jealous and frustrated cop who had no class or tact as others have posted you will just waste your day in court and I doubt that's worth a measly $125.00 lastly the MERB cops should ticket us both for not using a period because this stuff is damn hard to read with a Saturday morning hangover.
    Last edited by Mod 6; 10-14-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Missing the period at the end of paragraph.

Psychiatric help, 5 cents

good one

Quote Originally Posted by G1GBallday
    ...because this stuff is damn hard to read with a Saturday morning hangover
    Your right, and I don't even have a hangover, lol
    Last edited by Mod 6; 10-14-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Don't need to quote the entire post

There is an unwritten law at least in Quebec City that the police will tolerate exceeding the posted limit by nineteen kilometers per hour without ticketing from what you've posted I too don't see where there is anything to contest you unfortunately fell on a jealous and frustrated cop who had no class or tact as others have posted you will just waste your day in court and I doubt that's worth a measly $125.00 lastly the MERB cops should ticket us both for not using a period because this stuff is damn hard to read with a Saturday morning hangover
    This is only true on a highway with a 100 km/hr limit. This is not at all applicable at lower limits and especially in a 30 km/hr zone.

Maximus - this is a pretty inexpensive lesson for you. When you're double the speed limit you can be charged with dangerous driving which is much more serious and expensive. Quite frankly, if you had hit a kid at that speed, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'm not fond of cops and I've had my share of speeding tickets but doing almost twice the speed limit next to a park is not smart.
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say - Marshall McLuhan

THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod 6
    Last edited by Mod 6 : Today at 01:05 PM. Reason: Missing the period at the end of paragraph.
    Thanks for the warning M6.

Quote Originally Posted by martinl68
    ... there are a lot of locations where speed limit is badly chosen. I had once a speed ticket for driving at 75km/h in a 50 zone. This was on a four lanes road, and I was driving on the middle lane, with almost no cars at that time of the day
    I agree with you 100%. I once got a ticket on Decarie/15 for going at slightly over 90 km/h (posted speed limit 70km/h). Decarie's speed limit should be changed to 100 km/h along the long straight stretch. I also once got a ticket going 105 km/h driving to Dorval/Trudeau airport on Cote de Liesse (posted speed limit 70 km/h). Driving at 70km/h on both of these straight autoroutes seems slow. Most people go at around 100km/h on both of these autoroutes anyways.

Once you get a ticket for going above the posted speed limit, there isn't much that you can do to contest it if all the information on the ticket is accurate (date/time/car/license/place/driver). Using the excuse that other cars were going faster or at the same speed won't help. I normally pay since I am guilty of going at that speed and think that I was lucky all the other times that I was speeding (even "slightly" speeding) and I didn't get a ticket.
    Last edited by jacep; 10-15-2006 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks guys I was guilty I can not deny that its his smart ass remark that pissed me off!!!

Name Retired.

Thumbs up Montreal Police efficieny.

Hello Maximus,

On one trip, after a very tough drive of nearly seven hours I drove up to my hotel and parked in front until I got my room and found out where to park. That took ten minutes. When I came out, there was a ticket of about $80.

Another time I parked near La Patisserie Belge on du Parc where it was legal to park until 1530 hours (3:30). I got back at 1532 or 1533 at most. There was a ticket there already and no sign of the police anywhere. When I contested it they added on processing charges or something.

Either the efficiency of the Montreal police is spectacular or there is some premature over-zealous tactics going on. How does one discover a violation, write it up and disappear without being seen in two minutes. I thought Speedy Gonzalez was Spanish. Anyway the police are highly punitive, totally unforgiving, and the fees are outrageous in Montreal. For being late by two minutes I was charged $135.00. Pirates!!! The case you describe has no chance without an act of God.

Good luck,

Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 10-15-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Green Onions

Quote Originally Posted by Korbel
    Hello Maximus,

On one trip, after a very tough drive of nearly seven hours I drove up to my hotel and parked in front until I got my room and found out where to park. That took ten minutes. When I came out, there was a ticket of about $80.

Another time I parked near La Patisserie Belge on du Parc where it was legal to park until 1530 hours (3:30). I got back at 1532 or 1533 at most. There was a ticket there already and no sign of the police anywhere. When I contested it they added on processing charges or something.

Either the efficiency of the Montreal police is spectacular or there is some premature over-zealous tactics going on. How does one discover a violation, write it up and disappear without being seen in two minutes. I thought Speedy Gonzalez was Spanish. Anyway the police are highly punitive, totally unforgiving, and the fees are outrageous in Montreal. For being late by two minutes I was charged $135.00. Pirates!!! The case you describe has no chance without an act of God.

Good luck,

Korbel
    Korbel

Montreal police don't do parking tickets - its handled by what used to be called the green onions - don't know what they are called now. Anyhow, they're basically municipal employees charged with handing out parking tickets. They're efficient because they now use electronic devices to help create the tickets since that's all they do. Illegal parking in Montreal is very dicey these days - they are very efficient as you found out.

Makeit
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say - Marshall McLuhan

To the OP: There's nothing to contest. Yea the cop made a smartass remark but its his word against yours. Nothing you can do about it. Just pay the ticket and forget about it.

PS: What kind of car where you driving?

There is an unwritten law at least in Quebec City that the police will tolerate exceeding the posted limit by nineteen kilometers per hour without ticketing

Don't take your chances with 19, its more like 10. You'll get nailed on the 11th. I know alot of people who have. Ex: 50 km/h street you'll get a ticket for going 61, you're still safe on 60.

I agree 70 km/h on the 15 or cote de liesse is slow, everyone goes at least 90 the reason its posted 70 is because its still considered in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus
    I was stopped for speeding yesterday next to a park in a 30km zone I was caught going 56km when the cop pulled me over he takes my papers when he is towards the back of my car I here him say to his partner with a car like that he could afford to pay can I contest the ticket which was $125.00 plus 2 points,plus teach this new traffic cop a lesson.
    I had a similar situation and i what i did is i contested which then set up a court date which took about a year and if i remember correctly when i showed up for court the date they pulled me aside before i was set to see the judge and offered me a deal which was a reduction on the fine and the points which i think was reduced from 2 to 1 if i were to plead guilty, i took the deal, you might want to try that route as i think they do that with everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by master_bates
    I agree 70 km/h on the 15 or cote de liesse is slow, everyone goes at least 90 the reason its posted 70 is because its still considered in the city.
    I'm also not sure why the posted speed on the 40 is minimum 60/maximum 100 while the 20 remains at maximum 70. Both are relatively straight stretch of road, going in the same direction, etc. The posted speed limits don't seem to make any sense.

The police have a right to give you a speeding ticket for going at any speed above the posted speed limit... even if you go >5 km/h & <10 km/h over the posted limit, they can still legally give you a ticket although I've never heard of this being done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast