Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todd Bertuzzi Reinstated By NHL!

Veteran of Misadventures

Todd Bertuzzi Reinstated By NHL!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2128941

Meanwhile, it appears as though Steve Moore will never play again.

And Gretsky is coaching Phoenix!!
    ~~~ WTF I just say that for? ah Je plaisantais seulement!

Question Has Moore filed suit?

Are we to take it that Moores' lawyer is in full attack mode and civil suit will be filed against Bertuzzi? I'm sure Moore has some money but if he never plays again he stands to lose millions. Shouldn't Bertuzzi have to make this up to him? Will the league or the Avalanche take care of Moores medical bills long term and will he get some kind of disability insurance payout?

I think he deserves a second chance. Everyone has friends that they will stick up for and go to extreme messures for them. I mean if I saw some guy pestering one of my good friends on the ice, I'd take him out too. My temper may not be as bad as his so I wouldn't go that extreme, but I would make sure I took him out good.

On another note, looks like Florda wants Ryder for Luongo... IMO, I think we should stick with Ryder because for his first season in the NHL, he carried some of the weight on his shoulders, but on the other hand, I'm not a big fan of Theo, hes hot, hes not, hes hot etc etc. Luongo is a big goalie and with the pad size change, he might be a good pickup. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyHell
    I think he deserves a second chance. Everyone has friends that they will stick up for and go to extreme messures for them. I mean if I saw some guy pestering one of my good friends on the ice, I'd take him out too. My temper may not be as bad as his so I wouldn't go that extreme, but I would make sure I took him out good.
    Moore wasn't bothering anyone during the game. Bertuzzi was hunting him all night and finally decided to jump him from behind when he couldn't get him to fight. If, as it seems, Moore can never play again it would be justified for Bertuzzi to be sued in civil court. I feel that Bertuzzi should not have been re-instated until Moore's final condition is known. If he can never play again then let Bertuzzi sell hotdogs at the concession stand.

Has everyone forgotten about who Steve Moore is??? What Bertuzzi did was wrong BUT Moore is no angel either, he has given 10X the amount of cheap shots in his career than Bertuzzi ever will. It is terrible what happened to Moore and I hope he will fully recover, but enough is enough what Todd Bertuzzi did would not even make the 20 DIRTIEST HITS of all time in the NHL (yes the resulting injury was horrible but not the hit itself).

It's funny how radio hosts and reporters (guys who talk about playing) seem to think that Bertuzzi should be suspended for ever, but guys like Gretzky, and Robinson (guys who actually played the game) agree that he should be back playing. One last note Todd Bertuzzi has been banned from playing hockey anywhere in the world since the incident, last year during the lockout the IIHF held up the NHL's suspension and would not allow him to play anywhere - In my opinion he has done his time.

HolyHell,

Would it be Ryder & Theodore for Luongo? if this is the case I don't like the trade - But what do you think about Ribero & Theodore for Lecavalier?.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Bertuzzi went after Moore for what he had did to Naslund (his good friend). Naslund was out for 3 games with a concussion. Bertuzzi held a grudge against Moore for what he did (cheap shot on Naslund). He admitted it was extreme, but like spin said, I've watched Moore play, and have to say, he had it coming.

I'm not sure of all the details, or if it will even happen. Saw it in the Gazette this morning, could be a rumor (wouldn't surpize me). Alls I know is that they were interested in Ryder for Luongo. Ryder and Theo for Luongo would be a bad move by Gainey, and I don't think Gainey is that stupid. Personally, I hate Ribero. What he did during the playoffs with the jersey was rediculious, he should have been suspended. I find he tries to make to many fancy moves, go play soccer or something. Ribero & Theo for Lecavalier would be awsum. Huett has proven that he can stand his ground in nets under pressure during the Boston series, so I'm not to worried about losing Theo.
    Last edited by HolyHell; 08-09-2005 at 05:37 PM.

Steve Moore

Actually I am very aware of what kind of player Moore was. And the operative word is was. He was hunted down and assaulted by Bertuzzi. He will never play another game again. I really don't care who the injured player is. By your logic, if one of Steve Moores' friends takes it on himself to put Bertuzzi out of the game permanently then that's ok. Every player on the ice deserves the same protection from the system. If he had ended the carreer of a top player such as Mario Lemieux you can be sure he would never play another game. I don't mind fighting in hockey but this was an assault and I really hope that no one tries to avenge Steve Moore. The only good thing about this is that now he'll have the money to pay off the civil suit that is sure to follow.

proud infidel
    In keeping with what Tech is saying, i disagree with Bertuzzi coming back at this moment. What disappointed me the most from Bettman's remarks concerning his reinstatement was when he argued that Bertuzzi had already been out of hockey for about 18 months. But how can Bettman consider a season lost due to a player strike or lockout as part of the justification to reinstate him? That has just about the same smell as a bad used-car saleman's pitch... Nobody played hockey this past year, not just Bertuzzi. I don't see why this should be considered in the decision-making process whether to bring Bertuzzi back or not. For me, Bertuzzi's case should be assessed as if this were the 2004 off-season. Given the severity of the on-ice infraction and of Moore's injuries, i think Bertuzzi should be kept out of hockey for at least another year, with his case reassessed in a year from now for the possibility of reinstament for the 2006-2007 season.

Just my 2 cents.

fml
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 08-10-2005 at 09:15 AM.
    fml

Veteran of Misadventures
    FML,

I think one other poster already has hit the nail on the head. I have a feeling that Moore and his attorney at the reinstatement hearing in April did not oppose reinstatement so that Bertuzzi can make the money necessary to pay the proceeds of the civil suit. If Moore cannot play again his civil suit is worth many millions of dollars and Bertuzzi has to get back to work so he can pay off that settlement (or judgment in case the civil suit goes to trial). I guarantee you Moore's attorneys told him not to oppose reinstatement at that hearing. Moore needs Bertuzzi out there hitting hard and making some cash.

Would it be Ryder & Theodore for Luongo? if this is the case I don't like the trade - But what do you think about Ribero & Theodore for Lecavalier?.[/QUOTE]

That leaves the Habs with no goalie and trading for a guy who will be a free agent within the next couple of years and has openly said he wants to play in Montreal.
    I love Theodore but like someone else pointed out, he is up and down and Luongo is more consistent....but I don't know if I would give Theodore AND Ryder for him. Theodore can be just as good when he is on, but it can be a gamble at times.

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver
    In keeping with what Tech is saying, i disagree with Bertuzzi coming back at this moment. What disappointed me the most from Bettman's remarks concerning his reinstatement was when he argued that Bertuzzi had already been out of hockey for about 18 months. But how can Bettman consider a season lost due to a player strike or lockout as part of the justification to reinstate him? That has just about the same smell as a bad used-car saleman's pitch... Nobody played hockey this past year, not just Bertuzzi. I don't see why this should be considered in the decision-making process whether to bring Bertuzzi back or not.
    fml
    The players contracts kept running. If a player had 3 years left on his contract, he now has two in spite of the lockout. The same applys for Bertuzzi's suspension then.

Actually acco, there is still Huett who I said in an earlier post, has proven he can stand his ground in nets under pressure. I like the way Huett plays. But like you said, Theo and Ryder is a bit much for Luongo. Although, if you look at the team Luongo had in front of him and how he managed to keep his GAA not far behind Theo, that is pretty impressive. Face it, Flordia had to be the 2nd worst team 2003-2004 next to the pens heh.

If I remember correctly, the Moore-Bertuzzi incident occured in Vancouver GM Place ? And not on US soil ? This has huge implications as to the area of jurisdiction...

The incident is very unfortunate... that was caused indirectly by the degradation of the game due to poor officiating... I mean who has not watched Mario Lemieux carry 1-2 players on his back and still score ? The hockey game can still be a physical game without all the hooking, tripping and outright attempt at injuring the best players and goalies...

Moore injured Naslund - it was a legal hit yet dirty, resulting in a concussion on the Canucks captain. Moore is not in the NHL due to his hockey skills, but his dirty style of play. You reap what you sow. If Moore decided to fight off Bertuzzi who chased him all night long, the scenario would have been different, albeit Moore would have ended up with a broken nose probably...

I tried.. I really tried to stay out of this issue again. I have read the crap about marginal player vs a good player...
    Excuse me? They are both Canadian Citizens, and they are acting under Canadian laws.

This site expresses my viewpoint on what I think about the ordeal.

http://www.sperts.net/editorial.php?...Jim%20Margalus

Every team has their instigator and their enforcers. It is unfortunate that Moore is fucked for life. "Its just bad luck?" because he was just a starting instigator... Team motivation ganking for a legal hit that NHL reviewed on Canucks star player that requested no retribution be done.

If Adam Deadmarsh CO put Bertuzzi or lets say Cook in the hospital like that the Canucks would have wanted to lynch him.

I have heard of people killing people in a bar fight (US). They did their time, even if it was not intended. They got civil and criminal charge(s).

Instead of people seeing a good player vs a bad player, or American Team vs Canadian Team.. Look at this way, a young man had his career ended by the hands of a fairly talented veteran. Both citizens of the same country, playing a game that normally goes fist to cuffs and the incident was team inspired/sanctioned. But to what level? Donald Brashere had the same 'ganking' to him, he didn't get a broken neck and no one is listening to the warning about 18 months away from hockey for this?

1 career ended, 1 bad spot on hockey.

I hope that civil suit is negotiated away from the press, and Bertuzzi plays with Moores old number on his sleeve.

As far as law enforcement in hockey, I believe they belong... and I like them stepping in when its warranted. I wouldn't want one a lunatic of a hockey player get his retribution with a handgun on the ice.
    ~~~ WTF I just say that for? ah Je plaisantais seulement!

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan4MSOG
    I tried.. I really tried to stay out of this issue again. I have read the crap about marginal player vs a good player...
    Excuse me? They are both Canadian Citizens, and they are acting under Canadian laws.
    Calling other people' s opinion "crap" doesnt reinforce the quality of your editorial...

And Moore filed a lawsuit in a **Denver District Court** months ago excuse me FYI for civil conspiracy, assault, battery and negligence and targeted
    Canucks forward Brad May, Canucks coach Marc Crawford, former Vancouver GM Brian Burke, plus the partnership that owns the team... do you think that US Justice will have jurisprudence and application here in Canada It will be very intertesting to follow... Canadian Justice reached a plea bargain already with Bertuzzi...

And what do you think about Naslund filing a lawsuit himself as well ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast