Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: José Theodore gone, Aebischer in.

José Theodore gone, Aebischer in.

Just in case some merbites follow hockey.
    In case you haven't seen the news, Montreal just traded José Theodore for David Aebischer of Colorado. Aebischer is have a much better season with far better numbers, and costs less than half of Theodore. How did Gainey pull this off?
    What ever happened to the MVP in José Theodore? Will he be a star in Colorado?
    Why do the Canadiens have 2 Swiss goalies now?
    What will Montreal do with all that extra money?
    Will we keep Aebisher, what's this talk about dealing him for Luongo?
    What the hell is Colorado thinking?
    Bob Gainey is the devil.

Discuss.
    Last edited by andreww770; 03-09-2006 at 12:59 AM.

proud infidel
    Trading Théodore for another goalie ? Why not have tried to get a good power forward instead, or someone else capable of representing a solution to some of their problems? Huet was already doing a pretty good job replacing Theodore in nets.

fml

It's a good move. They get to dump Theodore's salary and now have some headroom in the salary cap to pick up someone else. Also they need some backup for Huet. Denis isn't a a bad goalie, but going into the playoffs with 2 goalies with no real experience is a big risk. Now they have a goalie that can step in to play if Huet gets injured or if he simply burns out due to the pressure.

That is great news - how much did we have to pay to get rid of him?LOL!

I think it was a great move. Unfortunatly Theo is not the goalie he used to be, maybe because of the equipment changes, family problems, whatever the case may be. His stats do not reflect that of a former hart trophy winner. Would it be wise to hold on to him until next season, where he would be making around 6M$. If he would have a similar season, who would take him in a trade with that salary. Colorado is taking a chance with him, maybe it will work out, maybe not.

I am hoping however that with the added cap space, we can sign a big name forward or two. I'd be surprised if Gainey would not make another move before the deadline today which would involve other players leaving, possibly Zednik.

Bob Gainey is the devil.
    Better to have this devil on our side.

It's a great move for Theo and us. Let's see what else Gainey has up his sleeve.
    Just keep smiling...it keeps them guessing.

I'm not sure it's that good a move for us.
    After all Theo has won Hart and Vezina,not to mention all star teams.
    What are Aebisher's credentials?
    I feel we could've had much more,after all Minnesota got a first round draft pick for Dwayne Roloson,a VERY average goalie who's stats don,t match theo's.

wow.............losing sleep over this...............what and influence all this has on my personal life.....all chocked up................NOT

Maybe for this season.Theo,s having the worst season of his carreer.
    But overall I think he's a much better goalie.How many Vezinas and Hart Aebischer won?
    How many all star team nominations?
    Quite frankly I think this trade has a lot to do with money,much more so than actual talent and reputation.
    Theo's contract and his off Ice misfortunes were a real burden.
    Too bad,I liked him.Let' hope Aebisher will be good.

I'm with Cosmo on this one.
    Try everything in life at least once, except incest & maybe square dancing.

I really don't care what Theo has done in the past. He's had two winning seasons here, that's it. This year he was a lousy goalie and he was way overpaid. People who compare him with Roy are dreaming or taking really good drugs. Considering the season he had, with his problems with the new equipement rules leading to him being the rebound king of the league, the Habs are lucky to have found someone to take him and his contract off their hands. He is a goalie on the downside of his career. This is the best move both for the team and for him. Maybe in Colorado he can get his game back. Here in Montreal the team would never be able to play with confidence with him in the net. They would always be trying to cover his ass. They have gained confidence since Huet has been playing, you just have to look at the record since Huet has been in the net. I wish Theo well and hope he has a great end to his career. Except when he plays the Habs.

proud infidel
    I don't think Theo is washed up just yet. I believe he still has a lot of good years ahead of him, if only he can manage to screw his head back on right... I'm not sure I agree with the new rules having been a major reason why he's been so awful this year. How can that be? Shouldn't the rules change affect all the goalies in pretty much the same way? After listening to a few sports radio shows yesterday, I came to the conclusion that Theo's main flaw might actually have been off the ice. Apparently, he wasn't that much of a team guy, often identified as being the leader of the team's French ''click''. Apparently, one day, Koivu threw a big party for the guys where he'd gone out of his way to try to please his guests, hiring a catering service and all, and Theo and a few of the French guys didn't even bother showing up...

fml
    Last edited by femaleluver2; 03-10-2006 at 07:14 AM.

I agree with Techman on this one. It's great that Theo did all this great stuff in the past, Jim Carrey was a great goalie for one year, where is he now? Where is Andrew Raycroft, he beat our Ryder for the rookie of the year trophy, and he's not around. Not many GM's would make a trade for what someone did three years ago. Theo has the third worse save percentage in the league amongst starting goalies. Personally, I would not take a chance on him next season with his salary reaching almost 6M. Maybe there will be a deal in the off season to bring an established goalie to Mtl. This move was not made with winning the cup in mind for 2006. I don't think we would have gotten much more for Theo at this time, and with his increased salary next season, if he has another bad year, we would not get anything for him. ya he's won trophies, stole a few games here and there, and can be brilliant between the pipes at times, but as brilliant as he can be, he can be just as brutal, giving soft goals, over the shoulder top corner goals. For him, I hope a change a scenery will do him well, with less media pressure and the spotlight night shining in face with on and off ice issues, I think it will work out to be a good trade for him too. Only time will tell.

2-2 in bans... loser...
    Let us know when you get a mind... loser..
    I think some already know my thoughts on hockey (fuck 'em all they can all drop dead) but I do want to give Theo credit in how he left. His interview with the media was hors-normale in that he did not blast the organization. Too many times we see 'athletes' take millions from a team and then when they leave make disparaging comments in the media about the team. Kudos to you Jose although you're still an overpaid useless idiot....

Quote Originally Posted by femaleluver2
    I don't think Theo is washed up just yet. I believe he still has a lot of good years ahead of him, if only he can manage to screw his head back on right... I'm not sure I agree with the new rules having been a major reason why he's been so awful this year. How can that be? Shouldn't the rules change affect all the goalies in pretty much the same way? After listening to a few sports radio shows yesterday, I came to the conclusion that Theo's main flaw might actually have been off the ice. Apparently, he wasn't that much of a team guy, often identified as being the leader of the team's French ''click''. Apparently, one day, Koivu threw a big party for the guys where he'd gone out of his way to try to please his guests, hiring a catering service and all, and Theo and a few of the French guys didn't even bother showing up...

fml
    I was listening to team990 on the way home today and Pierre McGuire actually brought up the point that the Habs were worried about Theo adjusting to the new equipment rules, smaller sweater, pants and pad size, and that he was getting beaten because he didn't have the physical size that he had with the bigger gear. The smaller pads were leading to more and longer rebounds because he was used to the larger, softer ones. Apparantly this has been a worry for the team since training camp. His off ice problems and his little "click", didn't help either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast