I am researching material on addictions to sex. I found these signs from an interesting article on the BBC website:
What are the signs?
Dr Patrick Carnes, one of the world's leading experts in sexual addiction, suggests there are ten possible warning signs:
- Feeling that your behaviour is out of control.
- Being aware that there may be severe consequences if you continue.
- Feeling unable to stop your behaviour, despite knowing the consequences.
- Persistently pursuing destructive and/or high-risk activities.
- Wanting to stop or control what you're doing and taking active steps to limit your activities.
- Using sexual fantasies as a way of coping with difficult feelings or situations.
- Needing more and more sexual activity in order to experience the same high.
- Suffering from intense mood swings around sexual activity.
- Spending an increasing amount of time planning, engaging in or regretting and recovering from sexual activities.
- Neglecting important social, occupational or recreational activities in favour of sexual behaviour.
The full article can be viewed here:
While I feel that many of us are not classic "sex addicts", we should recognize that there are serious consequences:
A survey of sexual addicts (source: Dr Carne's site, www.sexhelp.com) revealed that as a result of their behaviour:
- 70 per cent had severe relationship problems
- 40 per cent had lost a partner
- 27 per cent had lost career opportunities
- 40 per cent had experienced unwanted pregnancies
- 72 per cent suffered suicidal obsession
- 17 per cent had attempted suicide
- 68 per cent had been exposed to sexually transmitted infections
I am opening up this discussion because I feel it is worth exploring in detail. Feel free to input your thoughts.