Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Deletions and Edits

  1. #1

    Smile Deletions and Edits

    Deletions and edits are becoming a major issue on Merb.Within recent weeks a number of long time posters have deleted threads and posts for various reasons. The purpose of this thread is not to re-hash the reasons or re-visit the wars but to review the issue of deletions.

    Basically any deletion changes the direction of a thread.Deletions of a thread impact the board at large since most threads border or have their genesis in other threads.The biggest problem with deletions is the creation of doubt and reluctance.Why should any member bother to read a thread/post,compose an answer, interact with the other posters only to see the efforts wasted because the thread starter has a hissy fit when they do not get their way?
    If permitted deletes should be accompanied with an explanation especially if they are done by the mods to distinguish from poster deletes.

    Edits are a different issue.It is one thing to edit for spelling,grammar or an omission but it is intellectually dishonest to edit in a fashion that changes the viewpoint or position of a post.The edit function has to be revisited and a policy about edits established.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender
    Edits are a different issue.It is one thing to edit for spelling,grammar or an omission but it is intellectually dishonest to edit in a fashion that changes the viewpoint or position of a post.The edit function has to be revisited and a policy about edits established.
    I'm 100% in agreement with you there, eastender. Also, another common scenario is that a poster would react to criticism with personal, flaming rebuttals and then realizes he may be censored by the mods and/or in the wrong and edits the post. I don't have a problem with that as long as the flaming insults are retracted.
    A demander: une cochonne Quebecoise ou Allemande avec qui le sol se derobe sous mes pieds!

  3. #3

    Smile Clarification

    When a poster makes mass deletions of posts without explanation then it seems
    to be an admission that the posts were not worth keeping and should not have been made in the first place.Furthermore it is disrespectful to the poster who used some of the deleted posts as a base for their posts.

    Once a post has been made and replied to - either pro or con, then no deletions should be allowed.Just because something is policy elsewhere does not make it correct.Analogies to the print media come to mind.Once an article or letter is published the author cannot go back and ask the the newspaper,magazine,etc to cut-out the article.The author does have the right to comment again in the same magazine or newspaper renouncing the article,announcing that new facts have caused a change in opinion or issuing an apology.This is respectful of all concerned,does not misrepresent future articles or letter based on the article in question and basically is a sign of intellectual honesty.

    The idea that posters are the sole owners of their post does not hold water given that mods edit posts thereby altering without the owners permission.
    Within this context the board admits that it has proprietory interest in the post and this position should be extended to deletions.

    Holding posters to such standards would force posters to think before posting.Would encourage posters to post without fear that they are wasting their time and would build mutual respect.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by eastender
    ..................Once a post has been made and replied to - either pro or con, then no deletions should be allowed...................
    So, if there is no reply is it okay to delete the post ?

  5. #5

    Smile Open for Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by chef
    So, if there is no reply is it okay to delete the post ?
    Open for debate on a case by case basis.The problem that I see is that it allows
    for quick cheap shots without any long term public responsibility or consequences.

  6. #6
    I have a few suggestions.

    1 - Posts should not be allowed to be edited without a reason being given and added to the post. The date of the edit should also be indicated.

    2 - deleted posts should be replaced by a place holder to show that a post was originally there and the name of the poster.

    3 - thread starting posts should not remove a thread when deleted. Perhaps the post should not even be allowed to be deleted and the member's name who made the post could be removed and replaced with a placeholder name such as "Merb Member" instead.

  7. #7

    Smile Good Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    I have a few suggestions.

    1 - Posts should not be allowed to be edited without a reason being given and added to the post. The date of the edit should also be indicated.

    2 - deleted posts should be replaced by a place holder to show that a post was originally there and the name of the poster.

    3 - thread starting posts should not remove a thread when deleted. Perhaps the post should not even be allowed to be deleted and the member's name who made the post could be removed and replaced with a placeholder name such as "Merb Member" instead.
    Techman,
    Good suggestions.Let's build by adding the following.

    1.) with a different font or colour to hilite the edit.Coupled with hiliting the reason so that it does not get lost in the shuffle.

    2.) only if no replies or not integrated into another post or thread.Would consider the post being hidden with the right to view if it is important to a thread.

    3.) agree with preserving the rest of the thread.Not comfortable with someone walking away from what they start and being hidden by a generic "Merb Member" or "Thread Starter", a hidden from view or on request option.I still feel that from a practical standpoint if the thread starter would simply renounce the initial post it would impact positively on their credibility.We all are fallible.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Who GAFF?

    eastender,

    I prefer MERB because it allows the liberty to edit and delete at will. More degrees of freedom are better than none.

    GG

    P.S. Just so YOU know, I deleted something in my reply to SL regarding reviews because it was personal and he did not want it to be known on the boards. It was my mistake and I immediately retracted it.

  9. #9
    Well sometimes we post intimate details not just about our encounters but also our feelings and it can get pretty personal and deep.

    Having the ability to edit and delete is good to have but use it in good gesture.

    I for one like to put my feelings in words at times, getting it off my chest and just delete it later on. Maybe not the next minute, next day or even next month but there comes a time that it has to disappear for personal reasons.

    Yet as for in chat or PMs.. I just let it all out. Better than to keep it all in in my opinion.
    Last edited by Kaempferrand; 08-05-2006 at 07:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaempferrand
    I for one like to put my feelings in words at times, getting it off my chest and just delete it later on. Maybe not the next minute, next day or even next month but there comes a time that it has to disappear for personal reasons.
    K,

    Well put - you prove my point that more degrees of freedom are better than fewer.

    GG

  11. #11
    eastender, I like your idea of the highlighted edits.

    When it comes to deletions it is really hard to come to a decision that respects everyone. There are so many variables when it comes to thread starters. Many times the poster is irrelevent to the thread. If the thread is a review thread then in that case I feel the poster's name as well as the post should remain. In generic threads, such as "favorite movie" and such, the starter is pretty much irrevelent as seen in the Yankees baseball thread, and the poster's name could be replaced by a placeholder.

    If I ever retire from the board, or just fade away as will probably happen one day, I'd like to know that my posts will remain here. Others who leave prefer to erase every trace. I would actually prefer that deletions and serious edits to posts would require a mod's approval. But that would greatly increase their workload and I doubt that it would be practical.

    Another thought would be to create a sticky thread that lists the retired posters and a short reason for their leaving if any exists.

    One last thing...I think that members should expire if there is a certain time of inactivity on their user name. They don't necessarily have to be active in posting, thought that would be nice, but at least have to log on the board say every one or two months. Of course that would impact membership numbers which would in turn possibly affect the advertising rates that Fred Zed charges.

  12. #12
    Yeah just be responsible about it. You have to police yourself.

    Hey I know I am very guilty of this. Luckily most of the stuff I write in here is just joking around having a few laughs and do my usual sarcastic rants. I am sure many of you folks just read it or say "Hey there he goes again" and just let it go and not remembering it anymore. So I don't feel guilty in deleting them.

    Honestly when I first joined in Nov 2004, I was in a near emotional wreck and this place was great when I had to put those emotions into words.

  13. #13

    Smile Freedoms and responsibilities

    Quote Originally Posted by General Gonad
    eastender,

    I prefer MERB because it allows the liberty to edit and delete at will. More degrees of freedom are better than none.

    GG

    P.S. Just so YOU know, I deleted something in my reply to SL regarding reviews because it was personal and he did not want it to be known on the boards. It was my mistake and I immediately retracted it.
    GG,
    The more freedoms the better as long as the freedoms come with a greater sense of responsibility.

    Re your PS - it was an edit not a delete.Save feature is a marvellous tool.

  14. #14

    Smile Good Reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaempferrand
    Well sometimes we post intimate details not just about our encounters but also our feelings and it can get pretty personal and deep.

    Having the ability to edit and delete is good to have but use it in good gesture.

    I for one like to put my feelings in words at times, getting it off my chest and just delete it later on. Maybe not the next minute, next day or even next month but there comes a time that it has to disappear for personal reasons.

    Yet as for in chat or PMs.. I just let it all out. Better than to keep it all in in my opinion.
    Your point about intimate details is very valid and I for one would definitely consider it an exception.

    Your other points lead me to belive that perhaps in the lounge or a designated area could be designated as Venting,Rants,Frustrations etc.No specific threads just a place where posters can let it all hang out knowing that after a set period of time the posts disappear.This would address your points and similar comments made by a few others.

  15. #15

    Smile Archival Preservation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nooky
    This should only apply to posts deleted within a certain time period. For example within a month or so. Especially if that particular thread is innactive.
    Who cares who "BOB CRANE" saw on that cold snowy night in Jan. of 03?!
    Nooky,
    Probably no one cares about who he saw but the unique writing style of Bob Crane certainly merits archival preservation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •