Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downtown hotels with free internet

Downtown hotels with free internet

Since internet it a MUST for me, thought it would be useful to put together a list of DT hotels that you do not have to pay a $15-20 surcharge for internet. It's not much but I factor it in to where I stay.

Free internet - Residence Inn on Peel, Delta Hotel (deluxe room)

Pay extra for internet - Sofitel, Delta Hotel (regular room)

The Hyatt offered free wireless internet in the businessmens lounge only...which consisted of 4 chairs and lots of foot traffic to see what sites your surfing. Dont know if they still offer this anymore since its been years since ive been there.

Although not really downtown (actually borders Montreal and Westmount), the Residence Inn Marriott Montreal Westmount (on Lincoln) also has free internet (wired). It is also walking distance to the downtown core (2 or 3 metro stop distances).
    Last edited by jacep; 08-05-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks Daringly, et al. I was just this moment looking for a cheaper alternative to my Hotel Godin (which I like, but which has changed hands and is finally getting too expensive for me. (parking is extra internet is extra, etc. etc.). I just booked three nights at Hotel de la Montagne, and I got the third night for $100, so not too bad. By the way, as an American, can I get all these insanely high hotel taxes back at customs? or better yet by mail? Someone told me I could, but that sounded too good to be true (it also would mean that I have already squandered hundreds or even thousands by not doing so for the past 18 months!)
    Urbanite

Free Internet in Rooms and Business office

Holiday Inn Express, Candlewood Estates... both on Rene Levesque

Retired veteran hobbyist
    Free High Speed Internet (all wireless):

Omni Mont-Royal
    Marriott Chateau Champlain
    Hotel de la Montagne

Worst High Speed Internet (and you have to pay on top of that)
    :

Hyatt Regency

The Holiday Inn select in Chinatown offers free wireless internet.

Someone also mentioned that he got wireless at the Vogue...wonder if he logged onto the Montagne's wireless system?

Springhill Suites Old Montreal - free (wired)
    Courtyard Montreal Downtown - free (wireless)
    Residence Inn Downtown on Peel - free (wireless)
    Marriott Chateau Champlain - free (wireless)

Sorry if I repeated anyone else's answers....
    Clark
    ------
    MOONEY: Sergeant, I swear! Flying! With a big red cape! And bright red boots as well! Then, quick as a wink - he was gone! Flew up in the air again, he did. Like a big blue bird!
    SERGEANT: Like a big blue bird....with bright red boots! Why don't you take the rest of the night off now, Mooney. Go back to Murphy's bar and finish what you plainly started. I'll be off myself in a bit and join ya there...

Hotel Gault, but it's a pretty expensive hotel to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanite
    By the way, as an American, can I get all these insanely high hotel taxes back at customs? or better yet by mail? Someone told me I could, but that sounded too good to be true (it also would mean that I have already squandered hundreds or even thousands by not doing so for the past 18 months!)
    Urbanite
    Sorry to go off-topic, but sorry Urbanite, not anymore. The Canadian government stopped offering the GST rebate last September.
    Found an article on it HERE.
    Last edited by ck_nj; 08-05-2007 at 06:11 PM.
    Clark
    ------
    MOONEY: Sergeant, I swear! Flying! With a big red cape! And bright red boots as well! Then, quick as a wink - he was gone! Flew up in the air again, he did. Like a big blue bird!
    SERGEANT: Like a big blue bird....with bright red boots! Why don't you take the rest of the night off now, Mooney. Go back to Murphy's bar and finish what you plainly started. I'll be off myself in a bit and join ya there...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ck_nj
    Sorry to go off-topic, but sorry Urbanite, not anymore. The Canadian government stopped offering the GST rebate last September.
    Found an article on it HERE.
    Thanks CK_NJ, it's actually fine, I didn't relish the idea of more paperwork, or a longer delay at the border, but nonetheless I couldn't just ignore what amounts to probably $150-$200 per visit. But alas, it must remain in Canada. Oh well.

Thanks for your responses everyone. This is VERY helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by breadman
    Someone also mentioned that he got wireless at the Vogue...
    Umm, that would be me.

As I was setting up my laptop, prior to plugging it into the Vogue's system, it "found" a connection. I checked in on a Friday and the connection wasn't great. By Friday evening and all weekend, I got a great connection.

There were no passwords or security. I assumed it was a small company operating in a nearby building and when they closed for the weekend, their internet traffic stopped clogging up my reception! For what its worth, I was in a room facing the HDLM.

As in all things, YMMV... so I can't guarantee it'll work for you too.

Regards,

Voyager
    "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied—it speaks in silence to the very core of your being."
    -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager
    As in all things, YMMV... so I can't guarantee it'll work for you too.
    LOL. YMMV for internet connectivity!

As little sense as it makes, the general rule is that fancy hotels charge extra for Internet access, and economy hotels give it for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast