Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should we do with the Maine?

Question What should we do with the Maine?

Did anyone catch Pulse's Tara Schwartz tonight @ 6:30 discussing the Main. The corner of St-Laurent and St-Catherine has a rich history. It was transformed in 1890 when Jewish immigrants settled there and started the great night life with their clubs. Because they were Jews, nobody bothered them.

Now the Main has become a place full of crack dealers. Two Montreal businessmen were discussing their opposing views on what to do with the corner. One wants to tear down the buildings and rebuild. The other, the owner of Cafe Cleopatra, wants to keep his business and keep the corner as is.

One social worker said it doesn't make sense to clean it up and 'sanitize' for the yuppies. Finally, a reporter of the Montreal Mirror also stated his belief that we should keep things the way they are. I kind of agree with both of them.

BTW, Tara interviewed a streetwalker named Bunny who said that in the glory years, she would make up to $1,000 or more a night and now she is lucky if she makes $200 a day and often makes nothing.

What do you think we should do with the Main?

GG
    Last edited by General Gonad; 02-27-2006 at 12:46 AM.

The Main

Quote Originally Posted by General Gonad
    Did anyone catch Pulse's Tara Schwartz tonight @ 6:30 discussing the Maine. The corner of St-Laurent and St-Catherine has a rich history. It was transformed in 1890 when Jewish immigrants settled there and started the great night life with their clubs. Because they were Jews, nobody bothered them.

Now the Maine has become a place full of crack dealers. Two Montreal businessmen were discussing their opposing views on what to do with the corner. One wants to tear down the buildings and rebuild. The other, the owner of Cafe Cleopatra, wants to keep his business and keep the corner as is.

One social worker said it doesn't make sense to clean it up and 'sanitize' for the yuppies. Finally, a reporter of the Montreal Mirror also stated his belief that we should keep things the way they are. I kind of agree with both of them.

BTW, Tara interviewed a streetwalker named Bunny who said that in the glory years, she would make up to $1,000-$2,000/night and now she is lucky if she makes $200 a day and often makes nothing.

What do you think we should do with the Maine?

GG

To get funding for a developement you would have to have at least 80% of the project pre-sold or pre-leased.Given that the stretch of Ste.Catherine east of the old Forum has not been developed by an owner with much deeper pockets then the intersection of St.Laurent and Ste.Catherine will stay more or less as is for the foreseeable future.

The Bell Centre project was downsized significantly from the original - there is very little need for office or commercial space in Montreal and there is nothing on the horizon that will change the situation.

This is funny - I thought the thread was what to do about the state of Maine. I have lots of opinions on that, but that's another thread.

The Main...

My apologies, I reedited the thread to read the "Main." here is the link to the show and what was discussed:

http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/on_...t&id=1033#1033

Working rage-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeIt
    This is funny - I thought the thread was what to do about the state of Maine. I have lots of opinions on that, but that's another thread.
    I thought the same thing. Wasn't Maine originally a province in present day France around the time of William the Conqueror? Or am I way off?

Anyway, this is just my American 'yuppie' prejudice showing, but the city would be far better off to clean up this neighborhood. Of course, I'm not a resident, and I don't know Montreal like some of you do. I was surprised by the state of the local economy, though.
    There's so much wasted potential there. Just look at the turn around in Providence, RI over the last decade. That city was in far worse shape, and today the downtown is bustling. All you have to do is elect a mayor with mob ties.
    Feel free to flame away.

Quote Originally Posted by btyger
    Just look at the turn around in Providence, RI over the last decade. That city was in far worse shape, and today the downtown is bustling. All you have to do is elect a mayor with mob ties.
    Feel free to flame away.

Interesting, it has been a while since I visited Brown University but the city's downtown core was run down. The same goes with Yale University. Both Ivy league schools but their cities were awful.

As for electing a mayor with mob ties, our public works in Montreal are full of mob ties. They basically extort taxpayers and do nothing to fix the city's decaying infrastructure. It kind of works like this:"You betta buy the cement from Gino's shop or else I'll bury you in it!"

No comment on the Main, but let's see more of Tara Schwartz and a LOT less of Debra Arbec!

I thought the same thing. Wasn't Maine originally a province in present day France around the time of William the Conqueror? Or am I way off?

Anyway, this is just my American 'yuppie' prejudice showing, but the city would be far better off to clean up this neighborhood. Of course, I'm not a resident, and I don't know Montreal like some of you do. I was surprised by the state of the local economy, though.
    There's so much wasted potential there. Just look at the turn around in Providence, RI over the last decade. That city was in far worse shape, and today the downtown is bustling. All you have to do is elect a mayor with mob ties.
    Feel free to flame away.
    Bytger,

You're so right - Montreal has so much wasted potential, its criminal the way our mayors have wasted it over the years.
    I had to laugh on the mob comment - that would probably be a major improvement over all the wimpy, pantywaste, snotnose, sorry excuse of human beings we've had as mayors for the past 20 years. I wish we would elect a woman only because she would look better in a dress than the guys we put in office and she would more couilles (balls).

The last time any real progress was made in Montreal was back in the 60s and 70s when the Mayor was Jean Drapeau. He was actually elected back in the 50s after a successful career as a lawyer and was mayor until the 80s. Initially, he used his legal background to clean up corruption in City Hall. He was responsible for building of the Montreal Metro system and our famed underground, bringing Expo 67 world fair, the 1976 Olympics, the Expos , Place des Arts and many other major projects for the city. He left in somewhat disgrace because of major cost overruns in building the Olympic facilities - by todays standards though, he actually almost on budget with only a 100% overrun. In spite of this, Montreal had a lot to be proud while he was Mayor.

I have travelled all over the US and Canada and only a couple of cities come close to Montreal in diversity and culture. Unfortunately, all of the gutless wonders running Montreal for the past 20 years have reduced this once beautiful and vibrant city to a rumpled, tattered shell. Were so pathetic now that in addition to losing the Expos, we could n't even hold on to the gay olympics. Oh sure we got the world acquatic championships - God, I'd rather watch curling.

I would be happy to see a mob-backed candidate run the city because they could get the roads fixed, get redevelopment going in the core, deal with the totally out of control blue-collar worker unions, and most importantly, put the provincial premier and all his plowboy cronies in their place. They could also make sure that Cleos get a brand new home twice as big as they have today which would make all MERB members happy (and they would get priorty access to booths of course).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joelcairo
    No comment on the Main, but let's see more of Tara Schwartz and a LOT less of Debra Arbec!
    Wny is that? I love Debra, I think she is pretty hot.. Tara Schwarz is my second favorite! And then Lori Graham..

Wasn't Maine originally a province in present day France around the time of William the Conqueror? Or am I way off?
    Quote Originally Posted by General Gonad
    a streetwalker named Bunny who said that in the glory years, she would make up to $1,000 or more a night and now she is lucky if she makes $200 a day and often makes nothing.
    btyger, someone should ask Bunny...im sure she was around then also

Im sure Oliver can tell you what happens to streetwalkers over time better than me. But its my guess they dont age as well as a fine wine.

proud infidel
    [QUOTE=General Finally, a reporter of the Montreal Mirror also stated his belief that we should keep things the way they are. I kind of agree with both of them.
    GG[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it was Mirror's journalist Christian Gravenor who appeared on the news, as I didn't watch the broadcast, but Gravenor wrote an interesting piece in the Mirror a few weeks ago about how the Main stands to change over the coming years, as a lot of businesses are already either slated to close down or be transformed into something very different. I believe Gravenor said that city council is seriously commited to making the Main an artistic area, with the creation of art houses, museums and the like, an example of which would be that building, close to the corner of Ste-Cath- St-Laurent, on the west side of the Main, that was converted into a performing arts center/museum roughly 10 years ago. I think that junkies and prostitutes are seriously looking at getting slowly but surely evicted from the area over the next 2 decades. And if it's to benefit the arts, I personally won't be opposed to it .

fml

Quote Originally Posted by oliver kloseoff
    back to the blond prositute-marie frince--talk about a girl who could suck and fuck--she used to take me to her apartment on almherst near demaisoneuve i think it was--1st time she went down on me i thought-fuck no condom
    but she had it in he mouth and put it on like this-talented girl-we used to play criubbage and i would spend hours with her--she would takje what ever i had
    the most i paid was 70 and the least was 40--have not seen her in years now
    oliver
    Olie,

A great blow for $40-$70 - ah, the good old days!!!

cohabitation works well?

FML,

Here is the part of the transcript that discusses Gravenor's and other's views on why they like the status quo:

ALTHOUGH IT IS AMONG THE VANGUARDS OF THE MAIN - THE SHARP EDGE OF A SHINIER CLEANER FUTURE - THERE'S A FEELING HERE THAT COHABITATION WITH THE DOWN AND OUT WORKS PRETTY WELL.

[Andre Picard] I think being part of an urban environment and a dynamic environment - that's part of life in the city you know. We have to live with the people and evolve with them.

THIS OUTREACH WORKER COULDN'T AGREE MORE.

[Sky Bellefleur] If you go into an area and you gentrified it, you can sanitize it so it doesn't have any culture any more, doesn't have any edge. You know, it's just a place where yuppies can pay a lot of rent and come and go as they please. So it takes away from the whole spirit of the neighbourhood.

A NEIGHBORHOOD KRISTIAN GRAVENOR KNOWS QUITE A BIT ABOUT.

THIS LONG TIME MONTREAL WRITER SAYS THE LOWER MAIN IS A GEM JUST THE WAY IT IS.

[Kristian Gravenor/Columnist, Montreal Mirror] Nobody seems to be bothered with the sort of mayhem here so it's sort of like given the fact that there will always be some craziness going on in this city and it's already here why displace it why upset what's working reasonably well already.

Carla - I like some intelligence in a woman - Tara has it, Arbec doesn't - also, Tara is hot, but Arbec's about as sexy as a pair of old socks. My hot list in order of preference: 1/2 tie: Tara Schwartz and Annie DeMelt both very hot. A distant third Lori Graham. Right WAY down near the bottom...just above Ron Freakin REUSCH is Arbec!

Oliver, is it true than that virtually without exception any girls working the main are using (dope)? What a shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast