Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: What's the most offensive film?

  1. #1
    THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    689

    Question What's the most offensive film?

    Last night I was reading a thread on another forum about the upcoming release of Caligula on Blu-Ray disc and the question was posed as to whether it was the most offensive film ever made.

    Although I was too young to see it when it came out, I still remember the controversy it caused in the press and all the religious groups calling for it to be banned. Many years later when I picked it up on DVD and quickly scanned through it, I remember a great lesbian scene between two Penthouse pets along with a few sadistic scenes but nothing that really came close to offending me. (OK maybe the two dudes blowing each other did ) I'll probably sit down and watch it completely once and for all over the weekend if it rains but in the meantime I'd like to know what is the film that most offended you?

    BTW in the same thread, the film that was by far most often mentioned as # 1 was a 1975 picture called Salò or the 120 Days of Sodom.

    From its description on Wikipedia it sounds quite intriguing. Has anyone ever seen this and if so how was it?

  2. #2
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by G1GBallday
    Last night I was reading a thread on another forum about the upcoming release of Caligula on Blu-Ray disc and the question was posed as to whether it was the most offensive film ever made.

    Although I was too young to see it when it came out, I still remember the controversy it caused in the press and all the religious groups calling for it to be banned. Many years later when I picked it up on DVD and quickly scanned through it, I remember a great lesbian scene between two Penthouse pets along with a few sadistic scenes but nothing that really came close to offending me. (OK maybe the two dudes blowing each other did ) I'll probably sit down and watch it completely once and for all over the weekend if it rains but in the meantime I'd like to know what is the film that most offended you?

    BTW in the same thread, the film that was by far most often mentioned as # 1 was a 1975 picture called Salò or the 120 Days of Sodom.

    From its description on Wikipedia it sounds quite intriguing. Has anyone ever seen this and if so how was it?
    Hello G1G,

    I saw the film. I can't remember everything, but I don't see what is offensive about it. Knowing Caligula's history and having seen the film much of it is either accurate in details or a generally accurate portrayal of his character. The real problem is Caligula was just plain "Offensive" and the film shows that in much of his perverse glory. Oh well, so much for reality.

    Cheers,

    Korbie
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  3. #3
    Korbel,

    The same could be said for HBO's "Rome". The show portrayed Roman society during Julius Caesar with and included all the sexual depravity that went along with it. I still chuckle when I recall Mark Anthony yelling "I will not get out of bed until I have fucked someone!" on the day of Caesar's funeral.

  4. #4
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone
    Korbel,

    The same could be said for HBO's "Rome". The show portrayed Roman society during Julius Caesar with and included all the sexual depravity that went along with it. I still chuckle when I recall Mark Anthony yelling "I will not get out of bed until I have fucked someone!" on the day of Caesar's funeral.
    Hello Rollingstone,

    I thought it was one of the best series ever created, made with incredible forthrightness. It was brutally direct without being gratuitous. I loved the directness of the scene where Octavian's mother Atia makes a political maneuver to Brutus' mother Servilla by offering her some slave penis.

    Not precise but generally:

    Octavia-mother, don't you think that's a bit too much.
    Atia-of course not, penis is always a fitting gift.

    Well, that was the funny side. I thought the film did an excellent job of ..."being Roman".

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Last edited by korbel; 09-10-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  5. #5
    I have to agree, it was not too graphic. When Atia captured Servilla and had her continuously raped they didn't go into too much detail or make it the center of the episode.

  6. #6
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by juzt_a_girl
    Most offensive (not sexually ) film I ever saw was Casino. I know, maybe you guys are scratching your head on that one, but I have a weak heart when it comes to graphic violence and was nearly sick when I saw the beating/dumping in grave/burying alive scene.

    JAG
    Hello Jag,

    In that case you would have to add "Goodfellas" which was more violent I thought. I remember the mobster named Billy Bass, who Tommy thought he had just killed, was banging away in the trunk while Tommy and Henry were having late supper with Tommy's mom. The Tommy goes and stabs Biily several times in the trunk. How can you also forget Tommy shooting an innocent kid several times just becuase his buddies were ragging on him.

    Yikes,

    Korbie
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  7. #7
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by juzt_a_girl
    Nah... I'll pass on the gore. It looks too real. I can't watch horror movies either I'm a wuss when it comes to that kind of stuff.

    I think the reason is because I saw too many horror movies when I was a little bit too young. My mom was a huge fan. I remember sometimes sneaking out of bed at night to see what she was watching. I think I saw my first limb be cut off when I was 4.

    JAG
    Hello JAG,

    I don't care for horror films much at at all, at least not those in the genre... "slasher". I saw a few like Halloween. They were fun for a while, then just not worth it. But, I would not characterize Goodfellas as a horror film. It's what I call a Brutal Reality film...others might call it a gangster film.

    The most offensive films to me are the ones that have absolutely no point or reason for being except that the maker knows there are enough "dolts" who will pay to see pure crap to profit from. "Jackass" comes to mind.

    Also, it seems theB is jealous of my attention to you. Love it...lol.

    Kisses,

    Korbie
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  8. #8
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,134

    Hostel

    It seems that there are different interpretations of what "offensive" means in terms of a film. If it means being graphic and brutal, I would have to say that "Hostel" ranks up there among the most graphic and brutal films I have ever seen...........I still have nightmares about the scene where the guy has a power drill put through his kneecap, and some people did not find that scene to be the most disturbing one in the film.

  9. #9
    If you want to see a great film that is one of the most under rated films ever made watch Straw Dogs with Dustin Hoffman. Many people find it very violent, with justification, and offensive and some scenes are indeed tough to watch. But it is a great film.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

  10. #10
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    If you want to see a great film that is one of the most under rated films ever made watch Straw Dogs with Dustin Hoffman. Many people find it very violent, with justification, and offensive and some scenes are indeed tough to watch. But it is a great film.
    Hello Tech,

    I don't find violence offensive per se, as long as it fits and progresses the story. I find mindlessness offensive. I thought "Training Day" was one of the grittiest films I ever saw and knew instantly it should win best picture...unless some damn chick flick fluff got in the way. Never saw "Straw Dogs though. Maybe I will if it can be found.

    Here is what I found about it on the web:

    Straw Dogs-Dustin Hoffman is perfectly cast as wealthy American mathematician David Sumner. Soon after arriving to an isolated English village with his energetic young wife Amy (the captivating Susan George), trouble starts. You see, she's so attractive the men in town can't keep from leering at her, he's such a pacifist the locals feel at ease to push him around and the jealousy over David's wealth, power, intelligence and wife turn to a series of harassments, one more extreme than the next until Amy is brutally beaten and raped. David finally snaps and decides he's had enough when their assailants accidentally kill a cop and then hold them at bay in their own home.

    Not a horror film in the traditional sense, this (one of the most controversial movies of the 1970s) is nonetheless an effective, violent and relevant piece of shock cinema. Peckinpah's statement is that in this world, like it or not, there is a genuine need for violence and he concentrates most on uncovering how common emotions (jealousy, vengeance, lust) can turn seemingly normal men evil. Containing strong performances from the entire cast, STRAW DOGS has been copied many times since, but seldom this effectively.

    Cheers,

    Korbie
    Last edited by korbel; 09-10-2008 at 09:48 PM.
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  11. #11
    turn to a series of harassments, one more extreme than the next until Amy is brutally beaten and raped. David finally snaps and decides he's had enough when their assailants accidentally kill a cop and then hold them at bay in their own home
    The rape scene is truly disturbing. It starts out as rape, then becomes a kind of seduction and then goes off the deep end into rape again. David, the husband, never knows that his wife was raped. The violence that follows later results from another event. I've spoken with friends who have seen the film that felt the wife only got what she deserved. It's that controversial.

    I'll burn you a copy the next time you come to town if you want.

    Techman
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

  12. #12
    Name Retired.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Her Hot Dreams
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    The rape scene is truly disturbing. It starts out as rape, then becomes a kind of seduction and then goes off the deep end into rape again. David, the husband, never knows that his wife was raped. The violence that follows later results from another event. I've spoken with friends who have seen the film that felt the wife only got what she deserved. It's that controversial.

    I'll burn you a copy the next time you come to town if you want.

    Techman
    Hello Techman,

    It sounds like an intriguing film. Thanks for the offer.

    Cheers,

    Korbel
    Korbie: of the Boston Red Sox Nation...the NBA Champion Boston Celtics Pride...and...the New England Patriots Dynasty!

  13. #13
    THANK YOU BURKIE !!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    689

    Thumbs down Truly a great film.

    Quote Originally Posted by Techman
    If you want to see a great film that is one of the most under rated films ever made watch Straw Dogs with Dustin Hoffman. Many people find it very violent, with justification, and offensive and some scenes are indeed tough to watch. But it is a great film.
    In my opinion Straw Dogs along with Marathon Man are Hoffman's best work.

    Most movie violence does not upset me but have to admit that rape scenes make me very uncomfortable. That's why I never watched I Spit On Your Grave when I had the chance. Just hearing the plot was enough for me to cross that one off my list.

    As far as horror films go, I usually find them more funny than scary. I guess the closest thing to offensive was a film I saw a couple of years ago with these inbred mutant brothers who kept their mother under a bed on a mechanic's dolly. She had no arms or legs and they would pull her out every once and a while to bang her in order to keep the family numbers up. Not sure of the title but I think it was one of the many Texas Chainsaw Massacre remakes and it was pretty twisted from start to end..

  14. #14
    Retired veteran hobbyist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    17,822
    The most offensive movie?

    CHARLOTTE'S WEB.

  15. #15
    Audition !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •