Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Last seedy landmarks destined to vanish"

"Last seedy landmarks destined to vanish"

I am not sure if there has been any new developments to prompt such an article to be written but this is from yesterday's Gazette.

"Last seedy landmarks destined to vanish".

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Last+...786/story.html

Very depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by mack
    I am not sure if there has been any new developments to prompt such an article to be written but this is from yesterday's Gazette.

"Last seedy landmarks destined to vanish".

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Last+...786/story.html

Very depressing.
    Yesterday's Gazette?
    March 06, 2009?
    "The beatings will continue... until morale improves"

Guess he thought it was from April 6th. Honest mistake.

I have a feeling that most of these 'articles' are originating from the city planner's office. Maybe they are trying to get public support for their project by making the entire area look worse than it actually it.

Didn't the city just set up some kind of website for citizens to voice their opinions on the city and what changes are needed? Maybe we could flood the site with requests to leave Cleo's the fuck alone.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Amen, Techman
    Beats chaining ourselves to the bulldozers
    "The beatings will continue... until morale improves"

Red face Over Fifty Years

For over fifty years the "Red Light District" - Ste Catherine/St.Laurent has survived various clean-up attempts.

The Dozois Plan in the 1950's - produced the apartment complex between
    St. Dominique and Sanguinet, north of Ste.Catherine to Ontario.

The Place des Arts, Complexe Desjardins projects, The Ville Marie Expressway,
    The Metro all were supposed to bring in an upscale or gentrified atmosphere.

Nothing has changed.
    LISA'S FRIEND

Quote Originally Posted by shaumaman
    Yesterday's Gazette?
    March 06, 2009?
    Woops. I stumbled onto the article reading a current letter that had been written in as a response to it, and thought it was from the previous day. Glad to know there have not been any new developments in this terrible city plan then!

Recreational User
    Woops. I stumbled onto the article reading a current letter that had been written in as a response to it, and thought it was from the previous day. Glad to know there have not been any new developments in this terrible city plan then!
    Why is it a terrible plan? Its not like this town has a shortage of seedy districts, and with more seed sprouting everyday, I'm sure these dumps will find a new home.
    You are cordially invited to toss my salad. There's an app for that!

Quote Originally Posted by YouVantOption
    Why is it a terrible plan? Its not like this town has a shortage of seedy districts, and with more seed sprouting everyday, I'm sure these dumps will find a new home.
    You're kidding, right? Why is it a terrible plan? How about because downtown Montreal already has an endless stream of empty stores due to businesses that went bankrupt? The city is going to kick out a bunch of businesses that are having success to make room for classier ones, but in all likelihood most of the area will become empty buildings like much of the the rest of downtown Montreal. Add to this the fact that the smaller independent businesses being kicked out will never have the money to relocate and start fresh and you've got quite the un-necessary disaster of a plan, don't you think?

There's also a little matter of history. Several of the places under threat are near-landmarks of the area.

Recreational User
    You're kidding, right? Why is it a terrible plan? How about because downtown Montreal already has an endless stream of empty stores due to businesses that went bankrupt?
    In which areas? Right. Run-down ones (Atwater-Fort, for example.)

The city is going to kick out a bunch of businesses that are having success to make room for classier ones, but in all likelihood most of the area will become empty buildings like much of the the rest of downtown Montreal.
    There are definitely pockets of empty buildings, but there are also vast swathes of successful businesses.

Add to this the fact that the smaller independent businesses being kicked out will never have the money to relocate and start fresh and you've got quite the un-necessary disaster of a plan, don't you think?

There's also a little matter of history. Several of the places under threat are near-landmarks of the area.
    I'm not too sentimental about a bunch of sleazy run-down businesses. I think upscaling in this area will dovetail nicely with the new arts area up the street, and Club Soda.

A poor corrupt official
    Main redevelopment project too tall, group says
    By Aaron Derfel, The Gazette
    April 13, 2009

The developer of a proposed $200-million redevelopment in the city’s red-light district is anticipating opposition to its plan to put up a 15-storey commercial complex on St. Laurent Blvd...

...Angus has already purchased a number of buildings on the west side of St. Laurent to make way for the redevelopment, but the owner of the property that houses the Café Cléopatre is still holding out.

Dimitri Zoumboulakis insisted Monday that his father “is not ready to sell."

“We’re not going anywhere,” he said. “In general, my opinion is that (the building) should be conserved as is. It has its own beauty and should be left as is...”
    Strasser: By the way, the murder of the couriers, what has been done?
    Renault: Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects.
    Heinze: We already know who the murderer is.
    Strasser: Good. Is he in custody?
    Renault: Oh, there's no hurry. Tonight he'll be at Rick's. Everybody comes to Rick's.

The developer of a proposed $200-million redevelopment in the city’s red-light district is anticipating opposition to its plan to put up a 15-storey commercial complex on St. Laurent Blvd.
    In other words...a 15 story office building with the ground floor occupied by non-descript shops that no one will shop at other than the obligatory coffee shop for the office occupants. Yup, just what Montreal needs, another ugly glass and metal office tower.
    And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

so saad

so who would be getting the new development contract ?
    the italians as always
    so now the governmental reps are going to have a meeting with prospect contractors
    "so we want this project to go through but owner won't sell too badd"
    all of a sudden innocent family members get threatend and or dead {so cliche**
    and then exactly like tech said another ugly glass and metal office tower
    built on blood and cocaine money bienvenue a montreal
    mabe i'm a sceptic but i have as much hope for cleo's as i do ObMA bringing world peace

i so hope i'm wrong

Recreational User

Montreal auditor asks police to check city's property sales

Quote Originally Posted by drinkher
    so who would be getting the new development contract ?
    the italians as always
    so now the governmental reps are going to have a meeting with prospect contractors
    "so we want this project to go through but owner won't sell too badd"
    all of a sudden innocent family members get threatend and or dead {so cliche**
    and then exactly like tech said another ugly glass and metal office tower
    built on blood and cocaine money bienvenue a montreal
    mabe i'm a sceptic but i have as much hope for cleo's as i do ObMA bringing world peace

i so hope i'm wrong
    So, how'd you KNOW??

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...itor-0428.html

Montreal auditor asks police to check city's property sales
    Last Updated: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 | 11:45 AM ET
    CBC News

Montreal's auditor general is recommending police be brought in to probe questionable transactions carried out by the city's housing and development corporation.

In his report tabled Monday night at city council, Montreal auditor general Michel Doyon documented about 20 property sales at prices far below market values, resulting in the city losing millions of dollars.

The transactions, involving several private promoters, were marked by irregularities and lacked necessary authorization from Montreal's city council or executive council, Doyon said.

He recommended Montreal police review the transactions.

The sales include property in high-profile projects such as Montreal's entertainment district (Quartier des spectacles).

One property sale in the St-Laurent borough involved Tony Accurso, a Montreal entrepreneur who is currently under federal investigation for tax fraud. Accurso is also linked to Montreal's water meter contract, now under auditor investigation after it was suspended this spring following corruption allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by YouVantOption

One property sale in the St-Laurent borough involved Tony Accurso, a Montreal entrepreneur who is currently under federal investigation for tax fraud. Accurso is also linked to Montreal's water meter contract, now under auditor investigation after it was suspended this spring following corruption allegations.

Corner of marcel laurin and henri bourassa

Lot was sold for 1$
    Stay thirsty my friends

No matter the project,

I find it a shame. I ate my first Montreal hotdog at this pool room years ago. The best in town at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast