Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Traveling to Montreal from the States . . .

  1. #1

    Traveling to Montreal from the States . . .

    i'll be traveling alone when i come up to montreal to visit SPs. i know that at the border they will ask if i am visiting a friend, on business, etc. what should i say? i suppose it's a bit unusual to be going on vacation by yourself. and even more unusuall if i make this a regular trip (once every month or two). also, they ask what hotel i will stay at. any reason why they need to know this?

  2. #2
    just tell them that you are going to Montreal to see the town after hearing all good things from friends and tour guides.
    You don't have to say about seeing any SPs.. that is just a small thing which is part of your itinerary

  3. #3
    Veteran of Misadventures
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,139
    Prime,

    They will ask what hotel that you will stay at and they may even call them. They will also ask what you are planning on doing in Montreal. Just be polite and don't give in. On one occasion I was asked three different times what I was planning on doing in Montreal. The answer was the same each time: "vacation." They are trained to ask the same questions multiple times because by doing so they squeeze out inconsistencies in responses and also try to intimidate you into giving particulars. For example they may say after you respond "vacation", "are you meeting anyone? are you seeing a girlfriend?" And the truth is it's none of their business and if you keeping answering "just taking a vacation, no set plans yet", there is nothing they can do. They are not going to whip or torture the truth out of you. Usually after answering the same question three times and being given the same answer three times, they stop. Just don't give in and remain polite at all times as these guys are just doing their job, and they really don't give a shit about you personally.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver
    Prime,

    They will ask what hotel that you will stay at and they may even call them. They will also ask what you are planning on doing in Montreal. Just be polite and don't give in. On one occasion I was asked three different times what I was planning on doing in Montreal. The answer was the same each time: "vacation." They are trained to ask the same questions multiple times because by doing so they squeeze out inconsistencies in responses and also try to intimidate you into giving particulars. For example they may say after you respond "vacation", "are you meeting anyone? are you seeing a girlfriend?" And the truth is it's none of their business and if you keeping answering "just taking a vacation, no set plans yet", there is nothing they can do. They are not going to whip or torture the truth out of you. Usually after answering the same question three times and being given the same answer three times, they stop. Just don't give in and remain polite at all times as these guys are just doing their job, and they really don't give a shit about you personally.

    coming back to America, i've been been asked and others have been asked what hotel we stayed at. my concern is checking into a hotel and using an alias for privacy. the border official in America asks where i stayed and there's no way they can check since i used an alias. but yes, i like your idea of just answering their questions but not being specific. i know they're looking for people doing illegal activities, not someone seeing SPs, but i imagine it looks unusual to them travelling alone especially since i see myself visiting every month or so. they can tell you have crossed the border every time you do so.

  5. #5
    If they asked you what hotel are you staying at, then by all means just tell them. I have been asked almost every time I come in, and when I tell them, that's it. Further, if they decide to check and your name is not on the system, it just makes it a bit more difficult. Simply put, just be honest. Tell them the hotel you're staying at and that you intend to "vacation" in Montreal, which is what you are doing anyway.

  6. #6
    At the Trudeau airport, if you have a choice between a youngish female customs officer or an older guy, go with the older dude. They are not as inquisitive as the female customs. Maybe the customs guys already know the drill as far as traveling alone to see SPs

    Cheers,

  7. #7
    proud infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    from the civilized world
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy_CT
    this thread has some good advice But for me I have found it is more how you look than what you say, the bigest thing is not to appear nervous just answer there questions and not to act smart.

    https://merb.cc/vbulletin/showthread...ghlight=border
    It may also be a good thing not to wear a shirt with a tight collar as this has the effect of compressing the major vessels in the neck and causing bulging of the jugular vein. I`ve been told by a border agent/ex- friend of mine that this is one of the signs of nervousness and/or lying that border agents are trained to pay attention to during questioning.

    Just my .2

    fml
    fml

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere
    Posts
    1,912
    I can't for the life of me understand why people make such a big deal about border crossings. The one best piece of advice I can give you is, " Never volounteer information, simply respond to the question asked, nothing more." If asked what your citizenship is, simply say American, you don't have to tell them where you were born unless asked, don't tell them the hospital you were born in, the name of your dog, how many brothers and sisters you have, whether or not your last girlfriend likes cats or birds, what you had yesterday for breakfast and what your favourite food is. Am I making a point? Yes, answer the questions, HONESTLY, period. They will never, never, never ask you if you are going to Montreal to see a SP and have your brains screwed out of your head. They will however wish you a pleasent stay and as you drive away for your weekend of lust and debauchery, you can do so with one hell of a grin on your face

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by donnyb
    If they asked you what hotel are you staying at, then by all means just tell them. I have been asked almost every time I come in, and when I tell them, that's it. Further, if they decide to check and your name is not on the system, it just makes it a bit more difficult. Simply put, just be honest. Tell them the hotel you're staying at and that you intend to "vacation" in Montreal, which is what you are doing anyway.
    well i am plan on using an alias as i don't want the SPs to know my real name . . . that's the problem of telling the hotel i am staying at.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NY State
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    well i am plan on using an alias as i don't want the SPs to know my real name . . . that's the problem of telling the hotel i am staying at.
    The SPs will not know your real name. You tell the agency your first name only. The agencies call your room asking for your room number and giving your first name. I have seldomly have had a problem. Being detained by the border patrol is a lot more uncomfortable than giving your name to the SP's. I have had it happened once because I didn't follow the protocol the other Merb members are suggesting. I was told later that because I did not give a definite staying time or length, they detained me and questioned me. I always tell them how long I plan to stay.

    I was drilled by 2 Canadian border patrols. They make you wait and let you sweat. I was let go after 2 hours, or maybe it was less. It seemed forever. They ask you if you ever had been arrested and they will check if you have a record. I have been told that they will detain you if you do have a record.

  11. #11
    When sexy gets nasty ;-)
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRenault
    One word...

    C-A-S-I-N-O



    The Casino de Montreal
    CaptRenaul, I lift my hat!

    A gentleman that wrote me asked for a good reason for the border, and I think you just found the best to give! Thanks!

    My only question might be... would they wonder if he is carrying large sums of money? could that become an issue and attract unwanted attention?

    Sophia




    .

  12. #12
    have your flight intinerary and hotel itinerary printed out and hand it with your passport. the last time I didn't do that, I got chosen for customs inspection, but as soon as the guy at customs asked me my occupation, I told him and he sent me on my way...

    This time I'm actually going to be visiting 2 people (non SPs) that I know in montreal, but am afraid to mention that cause I don't know those people that well..

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    i'll be traveling alone when i come up to montreal to visit SPs. i know that at the border they will ask if i am visiting a friend, on business, etc. what should i say? i suppose it's a bit unusual to be going on vacation by yourself. and even more unusuall if i make this a regular trip (once every month or two). also, they ask what hotel i will stay at. any reason why they need to know this?

  13. #13
    ATMs!! Why would people carry lots of money these days???

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia
    CaptRenaul, I lift my hat!

    A gentleman that wrote me asked for a good reason for the border, and I think you just found the best to give! Thanks!

    My only question might be... would they wonder if he is carrying large sums of money? could that become an issue and attract unwanted attention?

    Sophia




    .

  14. #14
    When sexy gets nasty ;-)
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by newbieatthis
    ATMs!! Why would people carry lots of money these days???
    Lolll yes, I'm an ATM type of person too, however from what I have seen, many hobbyists choose to accumulate a "reserve" for their discreet pleasures, so that nothing will show anywhere in their accounting.


    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRenault
    Sophia, the answer is no:

    ...There are no restrictions on the amount of money that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you now have to report to a customs officer amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000, or its equivalent in a foreign currency that you are bringing into or taking out of Canada.

    Crossing the border with $10,000 or more?

    As noted above, you have to declare how much you have if it is over CDN $10,000, but Canada is more than happy to have a foreign visitor bring in lots of foreign currency (assuming that it is not drug money, etc.) which he will then convert to Canadian dollars and spend in Canada.

    And when he spends it at the casino or on you, for example , that is the same thing (from an economic point of view) as a company in Canada making a product and selling it to someone in a foreign country. It's a good thing for Canada when a foreign visitor comes to Canada, then goes home and leaves a bunch of his cash behind. One could say that both the casino (and you ) help Canada's balance of trade.
    Thanks CaptRenault!

    I'll pass this info along to my friend He will be happy to know that!

    Sophia
    xxx



    .
    Last edited by Sophia; 04-23-2005 at 11:12 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by newbieatthis
    have your flight intinerary and hotel itinerary printed out and hand it with your passport. the last time I didn't do that, I got chosen for customs inspection, but as soon as the guy at customs asked me my occupation, I told him and he sent me on my way...

    This time I'm actually going to be visiting 2 people (non SPs) that I know in montreal, but am afraid to mention that cause I don't know those people that well..
    Right, a concern since they call call your friends and/or ask their address. you could say you don't know their phone numbers??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •